Sell your agriculture products

  • Eggs
  • Meat
  • Produce
  • Processed products
  • How the government buys locally produced food

Yukon farmers can sell products through farm-gate sales, retail and to the Government of Yukon.

  1. Eggs

    You can sell graded and ungraded eggs in Yukon.

    Graded eggs

    • Must be inspected in a licensed egg-grading station.
    • These are fit for retail sale.
    • You can sell these:
      • in grocery stores;
      • commercial kitchens;
      • restaurants;
      • online; and
      • to the Government of Yukon.

    Ungraded eggs

    Ungraded refers to all other eggs. Producers can:

    • sell these eggs directly to consumers; and
    • advertise and sell them at a farmer's market as long as the eggs are clearly labeled as ungraded.

    Ungraded eggs cannot be used in any commercial kitchen or retail outlets. Read The Sale and Use of Ungraded Eggs in Yukon brochure.

  2. Meat

    Farmers can sell inspected meat and uninspected (farm-gate) meat.

    Inspected meat

    If you want to sell your meat in a retail setting, sell it to the government or advertise it for sale, it must:

    • be slaughtered in a licensed abattoir; and
    • processed or stored in an inspected facility.

    The meat inspector must be present during slaughter. They will place a stamp of approval on the carcass.

    Meat used in commercial kitchens or restaurants must be inspected. This also includes meat sold at a farmer's market.

    Yukon licensed inspection facilities

    There are 2 licensed facilities for inspected red meat slaughter in Yukon.

    1. Government of Yukon Mobile abattoir.
      Operated by Tum Tum's Black Gilt Meats
      Location: Whitehorse
      Email: agriculture@gov.yk.caPhone: 867-667-5838
    2. Naturally Northern Meats
      Location: Kilometre 218, North Klondike Highway in Whitehorse.
      Phone: 867-334-1826

    If your animal hasn't been slaughtered at 1 of these facilities, it's considered to be farm-gate.

    Uninspected (farm-gate) meat

    Farm-gate sale means the occasional sale of a live animal. The farmer and person buying the meat must agree to the sale before the animal is slaughtered. Otherwise, it's against the law to advertise and sell uninspected meat after slaughter.

    Processed and frozen animals are not farm-gate unless there is evidence of a purchase agreement before slaughter.


    Read the Agricultural Products Act to find out about how meat sales are regulated in Yukon.

  3. Produce

    There are no specific restrictions around selling locally grown produce. You don't need a permit to sell your fresh, uncut fruits and vegetables within Yukon. This includes:

    • root vegetables;
    • greens such as kale, chard, spinach and lettuces;
    • legumes such as peas; and
    • cultivated fruit and berries.

    You can sell uninspected produce at retail markets, farmer's markets, to caterers and the Government of Yukon.

    You are responsible for the quality and safety of the produce you sell to consumers.

    Tell the environmental health inspector that you are using or selling Yukon grown produce. Email or phone 867-667-8391.

    You don't have to wash produce before sale. If you do, you have to use potable water.

    Find out more about food safety for fresh fruits and vegetables.

  4. Processed products

    The regulations for selling processed products depend on the type of product you want to sell.

    Jams, jellies and baked goods sold farm-gate are low-risk products. They have less regulations and you can process these at home.

    Higher risk products sold for retail need to be processed in an approved, permitted facility. These products include:

    • meat;
    • dairy; and
    • fermented foods.

    Find out where your product falls within the rules

    1. Email or phone 867-667-8391 to speak to a health inspector.
    2. They will assess your unique situation and advise you on how to proceed.

    Laws for selling processed or value-added products

    Labelling food products

    Most pre-packaged food sold in Canada must have a label that includes the:

    • product's common name;
    • net quantity;
    • identity of the agent (grower, responsible person); and
    • principal place of business (address).

    Many foods also require nutrition facts. Some require specific information such as grades. Find out more about food labeling requirements.

  5. How the government buys locally produced food

    The Government of Yukon buys goods and services through contracts with vendors. This includes locally produced food. These purchases follow our Contracting and Procurement Directive.

    We usually buy local food products by direct award or invitational tender. How we buy food depends on these price ranges.

    Goods from $1,000 to $10,000

    We can use informal or formal solicitation methods. Informal solicitation methods include direct award and quote request.

    Direct award

    • We award a contract to a business without a competition.
    • We can only do this for simple, uncomplicated goods where competitive procurement is impractical.

    Quote request

    We ask businesses for a quote so we can issue a direct award contract.

    Formal solicitation


    • request for bids (RFB) for price-driven contracts; and
    • invitational tenders. This means we request bids from a limited number of businesses.

    Goods from $10,000 to $25,000

    The Government of Yukon must buy products using formal solicitation methods. This includes:

    • request for bids (RFB) for price-driven contracts; and
    • invitational tenders.

    Goods over $25,000

    The Government of Yukon must use open, formal solicitation through a public tender. This is a formal, open solicitation. We often advertise through newspapers or the Tender Management System.

    Find out more about these processes at the Procurement Support Centre.

    Register your business in our supplier directory

    The Supplier Directory is a list of Yukon businesses, suppliers and consultants that want to sell to the government.

    Register your business so it appears in the Supplier Directory.

    You will get an automated email once we've reviewed your details and they appear online.

    You can then log in to the Supplier Directory update your business information.