Dispose of hazardous waste

Hazardous waste are products that could pollute the environment if not properly disposed of. It's illegal to release hazardous waste into the environment.

Dispose of household hazardous waste

  1. Separate, label and seal household hazardous waste.
  2. Bring it to a local solid waste facility or transfer station.


Municipal residents of these areas can bring household hazardous waste to their local solid waste facility free of charge on annual collection days:

  • Whitehorse
  • Watson Lake
  • Mayo
  • Dawson City
  • Carmacks
  • Haines Junction
  • Teslin
  • Faro

For unincorporated residents, find out if your local solid waste facility takes household hazardous waste.

You can also phone 867-667-8945 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext. 8945 to find out about disposing household hazardous waste in your community.

Household hazardous waste accepted in the Yukon

  • Aerosol cans
  • Antifreeze
  • Batteries
  • Bleach
  • Brake fluid
  • Cosmetics
  • Detergents
  • Disinfectants
  • Driveway sealant
  • Empty compressed gas cylinders
  • Fertilizers
  • Fluorescent tubes (fewer than 40)
  • Gasoline and diesel
  • Glues and adhesives
  • Hair dye
  • Hairspray
  • Herbicides
  • Household cleaners
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Insecticides
  • Mildew remover
  • Motor oil
  • Motor vehicle batteries
  • Nail polish and remover
  • Oil filters
  • Paint
  • Paint remover
  • Paint thinner
  • Perfume and cologne
  • Pesticides
  • Pool chemicals
  • Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
  • Scouring powder
  • Smoke alarms
  • Solvents
  • Stains and sealants
  • Sunscreen
  • Thermostats with mercury
  • Turpentine
  • Varnish
  • Waxes
  • Windshield washer fluid

Household hazardous waste not accepted

  • Asbestos and AC pipes and fittings
  • Ammunition
  • Biohazardous waste (like needles)
  • Commercial hazardous waste (more than 80 litres or 50 kilograms)
  • Compressed gases
  • Fluorescent tubes (more than 40)
  • Full compressed gas cylinders
  • Lead paint and lead paint material
  • Pharmaceutical waste (like medications). You can bring your biohazardous and pharmaceutical waste to your nearest hospital or nursing station.

Dispose of commercial hazardous waste

Commercial hazardous waste must be taken to a private business specializing in commercial hazardous waste disposal. See the Special Waste Regulations for detailed information.

Find specific disposal information

Storing and transporting hazardous waste

Turn in polluters

Contact Turn in Poachers and Polluters (TIPP) 24/7, toll free at 1-800-661-0525 if you see or suspect someone illegally dumping hazardous waste.