Get a special waste permit

What is special waste?

In the Yukon, special waste includes:

  • waste or used oil like used lubricating oil, insulating fluid and coolants;
  • biomedical waste; and
  • dangerous goods no longer used for their original purpose. Dangerous goods are listed in Schedule 1 of the federal Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations. Exceptions are class 1 (explosives) and class 7 (radioactive materials), or dangerous goods returned to the manufacturer for reprocessing, repackaging or resale.

In the Yukon we follow the Special Waste Regulations to make sure special waste is handed, transported and disposed in a safe manner. Learn more about Special Waste Regulations.

Do I need a special waste permit?

You need a permit to generate, dispose, collect, transport or handle special waste in the following quantities over a 30-day period or if stored on-site.

  • Waste oil: greater than or equal to 20 L.
  • Other liquid special wastes: greater than or equal to 5 L.
  • One or more solid special wastes: greater than or equal to 5 kg.
  • Mixed solid and liquid special waste: greater than or equal to 5 kg or 5 L.

You will need a different permit depending on the activity. You need:

  • a special waste generator permit for businesses or individuals that generate special wastes as a result of their regular commercial activities; or
  • a special waste facility permit for businesses or individuals that collect special wastes generated by others. This includes sites where special wastes are dropped off by other people and operations that pick up special wastes from others and transport them for disposal.

Find out more about: 

You do not need a special waste permit if you are a household that generates special waste, stores that waste on your property, and transports it to a licensed collection facility or has it collected by a licensed facility. Find out how to dispose of household hazardous waste.

Special Waste Transportation

If you are transporting special wastes above the minimum thresholds, a Waste Manifest is required to accompany the shipment. You can pick up manifest books at 10 Burns Road or contact Department of Environment at 867-667-5683 or Find out more about:

Apply for a special waste permit

  1. Complete the appropriate permit application.
  2. Complete a spill response plan and a Waste Manifest if you need to transport special waste. See the guidelines and a sample spill response plan to help prepare. You can get Waste Manifest forms in person only at the Department of Environment office at 10 Burns Road, Whitehorse. The shipper is responsible for submitting the Waste Manifest to the Environmental Protection and Assessment Branch.
  3. Submit your application and any supporting documents.
    In person: at the Department of Environment office at 10 Burns Road in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Environmental Protection and Assessment
    Government of Yukon 
    Box 2703 (V-8)
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Permit exemptions

You do not need a permit for the following.

  • Transport or dispose bound asbestos. Bound asbestos has been "fixed" into a product like floor tiles. Asbestos removal and disposal projects must follow the occupational health and safety regulations. Contact the Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board for further information.
  • Generate, store, transport or collect treated wood.
  • Transport rechargeable or single-use end-of-life batteries weighing up to 5 kg each to a designated Call2Recycle collection site, except for car batteries. Call2Recycle is a voluntary industry-led stewardship program operated by the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation.
  • Bring household-generated special waste to a permitted special waste facility.
  • Generate, store and transport biomedical waste, if you handle it according to the Guidelines for the Management of Biomedical Waste in Yukon. You still need a Waste Manifest to transport biomedical waste.