The Rural Home Ownership Loan Program is for people living in a rural community outside Whitehorse in the Yukon to buy or build a home.
- You're building or purchasing a new home for your primary residence in the Yukon but outside Whitehorse.
- You fall within our debt-to-loan ratios.
- You cannot get a loan from a bank.
- You will need a 2.5 per cent down payment.
- If you build your own home, you must show that you have required skills and experience to complete the project.
- You can build or purchase a new home on First Nations land, depending upon arrangements with Yukon First Nations.
Apply for a Rural Home Ownership Program Loan
- Complete the rural home ownership loan application form.
- Complete the verification of employment form.
- Submit both completed documents and any required supporting documentation:
In person: 410 Jarvis Street, Whitehorse, Yukon. Our hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (during COVID-19 situation, please submit forms by email)
You have up to 2 years to complete construction, depending on whether you hire a company to build or undertake the project on your own.
Loan financing details
- Amortization period of up to 30 years in 5-year terms.
- Interest-only payments during construction.
- Interest rate at or below 1 per cent the average posted rates. This is the posted 5-year average interest rate at major banks.
Get a rebate on energy efficient upgrades to your home
We offer Good Energy rebates on renovations and upgrades that make your home more energy efficient. You can combine rebates with the Yukon Housing Corporation’s Rural Home Ownership Loan Program.
For questions about applying for a loan to build your first home email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5759 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5759.