Apply for a housing flood recovery grant and loan

When to apply

Applications open on June 30, 2023.

Application deadline

The application deadline is Tuesday, October 3, 2023, at 4:30 pm.

Who can apply

You can apply to the 2023 Housing Flood Recovery Funding Program if your property and possessions were damaged by the 2023 flooding in the region around the Klondike Valley near Dawson City.

Funding is provided in 4 streams

  • Grant funding for restoration of principal residences
  • Loan funding for the restoration of principal and secondary residences and outbuildings which are for personal use
  • Grant funding to replace damaged possessions for property owners and tenants.
  • Grant funding for temporary accommodation support

If you're eligible, you can apply for all 4 streams.

Other funds

Housing funding program limits

We may provide funding to cover uninsured and uninsurable claims for losses up to $250,000 per household. This limit includes all housing funding streams:

  • loans;
  • grants for principal residences, possession and chattel losses; and
  • temporary accommodation support

Financial help for losses will have a limit. It will be the lesser amount of:

  • the appraised value of real property (comes from assessment rolls); or
  • $250,000.

Grant funding for principal residences

You can apply for funding to compensate for damages to your principal residence. Each household can receive up to $250,000 for eligible losses through this fund.

Who's eligible

  • You must be a Yukon resident.
  • You must own the property that was damaged, and it must be your primary residence. Property includes lease arrangements for home ownership on First Nations' land.
  • You have to show that you have not already received compensation through private insurance.
  • If you do not have insurance, you must show that:
    • insurance was cost-prohibitive; or
    • you were unable to get insurance.

What's eligible

  • Your property must be in the specified flood-affected area.
  • Only 1 principal residence per household is eligible for grant funding.
  • We’ll only consider claims to replace or restore the necessities of life.

What is not eligible

  • A house used as a secondary residence, such as a cottage or rental property (see loans stream instead).
  • Flood-mitigation work related to land or shoreline protection.

When do we approve your funding request?

  1. Once your eligibility is determined, we’ll schedule a site visit with an appraiser. They’ll produce an estimate of total claimable losses and help you understand the program.
  2. We’ll review the estimate and make a decision.
  3. We’ll enter into an agreement with you.
  4. We’ll issue payment consistent with the terms and conditions of the agreement.

Loans for principal and secondary residences and outbuildings

You can use this funding:

  • to repair existing principal and secondary residences, and outbuildings for personal use; or
  • for some flood-mitigation measures related to building-structure systems.

Loan financing available

  • Maximum of $50,000
  • 12-year amortization period
  • 0 per cent interest

Who's eligible

  • You must be a Yukon resident.
  • You must own the damaged property – this includes home ownership on First Nations' land.
  • You must be able to financially afford the cost of the loan

What's eligible

Houses undergoing repairs or upgrades to address flood damage must be located in flood-affected areas.

Grant funding to replace possessions

You can use this funding to receive compensation for damages to your personal possessions at your principal residence if you're a:

  • homeowner; or
  • residential tenant.

You may receive a grant to compensate for the loss of eligible damaged items. We'll base this on your eligibility and an assessment from an appraiser.

Funding covers the value of damaged essential items based on set amounts. You’ll find complete details listed in:

  • our program guidelines under eligible chattels; and
  • the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements guidelines.

Who's eligible

  • Yukon residents
  • Owner of a principal residence
  • Tenants

What's eligible?

  • Essential personal possessions damaged in a principal residence or a tenant’s rental unit located in flood-affected areas.

Funding for temporary accommodations resulting from displacement

If you are unable to return to your home, you may be eligible for funding to help with short-term accommodation. You may receive a monthly accommodation allowance based on Yukon median rents by household size.

  • To 1 bedroom – $1,100
  • 2 bedrooms –- $1,446
  • 3 to 4 bedrooms – $1,900
  • 5 or more bedrooms – $2,925

Who's eligible

  • Yukon residents
  • Owner of a principal residence
  • Tenants

What's eligible?

You’ll need to show that you are not able to live in your principal residence due to damages caused by the 2023 Klondike Valley flood.

You will not be eligible for this support if you own another property that you can live in.

We’ll provide monthly payments up to 6 months if you show ongoing eligibility.

This benefit is included in the limit on financial help of $250,000 or appraised property value, whichever is less.

How to apply

  1. Read the Housing Flood Recovery Funding Program guidelines.
  2. Download and complete the Housing Flood Recovery Funding Program Application.
  3. Submit your complete application and supporting documents by October 3, 2023, at 4:30 pm.
    In person:
  4. Email: with the subject line "Housing Flood Recovery Funding Program Application".

Note: All applicants need to provide a copy of the most recent Property Assessment Notice and Proof of Residency.

The following documents can be used for proof of Yukon Residency:

  • Mortgage document
  • The most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency
  • Verification of Employment Letter
  • The most recent Property Tax Bill with Homeowners Grant claimed
  • Utility bill
  • Bank statement

To ensure the safety of your personal information, do not submit photocopies of your health card or driving license.

After you apply

We'll send you a response confirming that we've received your application. We'll contact you if we need additional information, or if we have any follow-up questions as we work to determine eligibility and next steps.

We'll work through application forms in the order we receive them. We'll provide you with updates on your application as we process it.


For questions about the housing flood recovery funding program,, 867-667-5759 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408.