Department of Community Services

Community Services builds sustainable and diverse economies while supporting local solutions to local problems. The work we do supports economic and community development. We help Yukoners lead healthy, productive, happy lives through accessible, integrated programs and services tailored to their needs.

Services and information

Latest news

Read all news from this department

Minister responsible

We support municipal and local area governments by providing advice, sharing information and training staff and councils on current issues, operations and their legislated responsibilities. We also provide funding and financial advice to municipalities and unincorporated communities, partner with the Association of Yukon Communities (AYC) on important new initiatives; and work with other governments to improve the delivery of local services. Community Affairs helps ensure that municipalities remain in compliance with the Municipal Act and other legislation in their day-to-day operations.

Phone number: 867-667-8834

Community Operations provides municipal services to unincorporated communities and rural areas throughout the Yukon. We oversee the operation and maintenance of community infrastructure and service delivery programs for clean water, sewage, mosquito control, local road works, street lighting and pedestrian bridges, flood and erosion control, recycling and solid waste systems in unincorporated Yukon communities. We are also responsible for planning and seeking regulatory approvals for community infrastructure construction and upgrade projects.

Phone number: 867-667-8945

We provide library services to Yukon people through a central library in Whitehorse and 14 community branches. We work collaboratively with community library boards, other libraries, literary and literacy groups and similar organizations. Together, we promote the use of public libraries, books and reading with appropriate resources and programs. Public Libraries provides books, audiovisual materials and other resources to meet the needs of Yukoners of all ages. We also provide fun and informative programming for children and adults and safe, healthy community meeting places.

Phone number: 867-667-5239 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408
Fax number: 867-393-6333

We support the development and delivery of sport, recreation and active living programs in Yukon by providing funding programs, resources, advocacy and consultative services to communities, Yukon sport and recreation organizations and individuals.

Phone number: 867-667-5254 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext 5254
Fax number: 867-393-6416

The Corporate Policy and Consumer Affairs division oversees: Corporate Affairs, Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Property Assessment and Taxation, Employment Standards and Residential Tenancies, and Yukon Medical Council.

Phone number: 867-667-5314
Staff directory

We facilitate and support business in the Yukon by providing a variety of information and services to business and the public. The Corporate Affairs Branch administers legislation related to six registries: corporations, businesses, partnerships, societies, cooperative associations, personal property security, as well as sales and trades in securities.

Phone number: 867-667-5314 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5314
Fax number: 867-393-6251

We regulate a number of health and business professions in Yukon. Our work includes: licensing professionals and professional corporations; setting standards and policies; managing complaints; and supporting the development of regulations. We also approve and issue charitable gaming applications.

Phone number: 867-667-5111 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5111
Fax number: 867-667-3609

We provide all Yukon taxing authorities with current, accurate and equitable property assessments and establish the general property tax rates for all areas outside municipalities. We also administer companion programs including the Home Owners Grant, Rural Electrification, and Domestic Water Well programs.

Phone number: 867-667-5268 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5268
Fax number: 867-667-8276

The Employment Standards Office enforces the minimum standards of employment, such as wages and hours of work, as set out in the Employment Standards Act. The Employment Standards Office provides information, education, and dispute resolution services for employees and employers. The Employment Standards Office also administers the Fair Wage Schedule, which sets the minimum wage rates for workers employed on construction contracts with the Yukon government.

Phone number: 867-667-5944 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5944
Fax number: 867-393-6317

Building Safety consists of Building Inspections; Mechanical Inspections; and Electrical Inspections. We inspect construction and trade-related activities. We make sure structures and installations are completed to safety codes. We issue permits and licences to support: development; building; plumbing; electrical; boiler and pressure vessels; gas; and elevating devices.

Phone number: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5741
Fax number: 867-393-6249

The Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) is responsible for coordinating Yukon's preparedness for, response to, and recovery from, major emergencies and disasters. Historically, emergency situations in Yukon have involved fire, flood, power failures, toxic spills and extreme weather, although other hazards exist.

Phone number: 867-667-5220 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5220
Fax number: 867-393-6266

Our practitioners are responsible for the emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured in Yukon and to specialist care in southern Canada. The Whitehorse, Watson Lake and Dawson City stations are staffed by Primary Care Paramedics (PCP). The medevac crews (based in Whitehorse) consist of Critical Care Nurses, Critical Care Paramedics and Advanced Care Paramedics. All other Yukon communities are served by volunteer Emergency Medical Responders who are trained by the Government of Yukon and work closely with nurses (Community Nurse Practitioners) in communities.

Phone number: 867-456-3943

We work with many different agencies and personnel to reduce the loss of life and property to fire and other related emergencies throughout the Yukon. We work to improve public life safety and fire protection through leadership, education, enforcement, and program development. We also provide funding, training and administer fire departments in Yukon communities.

Phone number: 867-456-6517

Yukon Wildland Fire Management is responsible for managing Yukon wildfires and enforcing the Government of Yukon's Forest Protection Act. We work to prevent personal injury and loss of life, and to minimize social and economic disruption resulting from wildfires.

Phone number: 867-456-3845 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext 3845

The Residential Tenancies Office provides information about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants as set out in the Residential Landlord and Tenant Act. It also provides legally binding dispute resolution when issues arise that cannot be resolved by landlords and tenants.

Phone number: 867-667-5944 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5944

Land Development Branch supports and coordinates land development initiatives in Yukon. We work with Yukon municipalities, unincorporated communities, and First Nations to bring new residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional lots to the Yukon market.

Phone number: 867-456-6184