Find out what you need to graduate from high school

To graduate, you must meet British Columbia’s (BC) Graduation Program.

  • The BC Graduation Program is currently making changes.
  • Students graduating after June 30, 2018, are on the new BC Graduation Program.
  • There are no changes to the number of credits or courses.

Yukon introduced the new curriculum for Grades 11 and 12 during the 2019–20 school year. Read this guide for parents for more information.

Credits and courses requirements

To graduate you need to have a 80 course credits. You accumulate these credits in Grade 10, 11 and 12 when you pass a course. A passing mark is 50% or higher.

For more information on the type of credit you need, visit the BC Education website.

Courses vary year to year within a school. Visit your school counsellor to talk about which courses you should take.

Graduation assessments

Visit our graduation numeracy and literacy assessments for students in Grades 10-12.

High school graduation certificates

Students who meet the requirements receive a high school graduation certificate.

  • English program earns the BC Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma).
  • French Immersion and French First Language program earn both:
    • a BC Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma); and
    • a Diplôme de fin d’études secondaires en Colombie-Britannique.

Specialized education certificate

Students with specialized-education needs earn a School Completion Certificate (or Evergreen Certificate). This is for a student who completes an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and does not intend to graduate with a BC Certificate of Graduation. Talk to your child’s school to learn more.

Adult Graduation Diploma Program

This program is for adults 18 and older who haven't graduated from high school.

You can take courses as credit towards your British Columbia Adult Graduation Diploma (BCAGD). To learn more talk to the school counsellor at your local high school.

Learn about planning for university, college or other post-secondary education

To meet the graduating requirements talk to your school counsellor. They will:

  • guide you in selecting courses; and
  • help you apply to post-secondary programs.

Learn more about planning for graduation with the BC Ministry of Education’s graduation planner.

Need your school transcript?

Find out how to order a copy of your transcript.


Talk to your school counsellor for more information and guidance.