Before you apply
Find out if you need a development permit
You might need to apply for a development permit before you apply for a building or plumbing permit. Find out if your project requires a development permit before you continue with your building or plumbing permit application.
Do you need a building permit?
You need a residential building permit if you're doing any of the following.
Demolishing, moving or building a structure
- Moving and placement of mobile homes or modular buildings
- Building residential accessory structures and storage buildings over 130 square feet
- Building commercial accessory structures and storage buildings of any size
- Decks that require guards or handrails
Renovations, structural changes or upgrades
- Creating a bedroom or changing or creating bedroom windows
- Exits or stairs, barrier-free ramps and washrooms, sprinkler or fire alarm systems and insulation and vapour barrier
- Changing or adding new plumbing (not including changing fixtures)
- Changing or relocating chimneys
Heating equipment installation or replacement
- Woodstoves, pellet stoves, oil-fired space heaters and fuel-fired equipment
- Installing fuel tanks
Changing the use of a building
Creating multiple dwelling units or a secondary residential suite
Apply for a building permit
The City of Whitehorse issues building permits within city limits. The Government of Yukon issues building permits outside of Whitehorse city limits.
- Complete the residential building and plumbing permit checklist.
- Complete the building permit application and, or plumbing permit application.
- Submit the forms and supporting documents.
In person: 2251B 2nd Avenue, Whitehorse
Government of Yukon
Building Safety and Standards (C-8)
- Permits are usually issued within 5 business days if your application is complete. The work must be started and inspected within 6 months of the permit being issued.
Use these sample plans to assist you in developing your own plans when you apply for a permit.
For questions about applying for a building or plumbing permit email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5741.