Before you apply
Find out if you need a development permit
You might need to apply for a development permit before you apply for a building or plumbing permit. Find out if your project requires a development permit before you continue with your building or plumbing permit application.
Make sure you need a building permit
You need a residential building permit for:
- Demolishing, moving or building a structure. This includes:
- moving and placement of mobile homes or modular buildings;
- building residential accessory structures and storage buildings over 130 square feet;
- building commercial accessory structures and storage buildings of any size; and
- decks that require guards or handrails.
- Renovations, structural changes or upgrades. This includes:
- creating a bedroom or changing or creating bedroom windows;
- exits or stairs, barrier-free ramps and washrooms, sprinkler or fire alarm systems and insulation and vapour barrier;
- changing or adding new plumbing (not including changing fixtures); and
- changing or relocating chimneys.
- Heating equipment installation or replacement. This includes:
- woodstoves, pellet stoves, oil-fired space heaters and fuel-fired equipment; and
- installing fuel tanks.
- Changing the use of a buildling.
- Creating multiple dwelling units or a secondary residential suite.
Apply for a building permit
The City of Whitehorse issues building permits within city limits. The Government of Yukon issues building permits outside of Whitehorse city limits.
- Complete the residential building and plumbing permit checklist.
- Complete the building permit application and, or plumbing permit application.
- Submit the forms and supporting documents.
In person: 2251B 2nd Avenue, Whitehorse
Government of Yukon
Building Safety and Standards (C-8)
- Permits are usually issued within 5 business days if your application is complete. The work must be started and inspected within 6 months of the permit being issued.
Use these sample plans to assist you in developing your own plans when you apply for a permit.
For questions about applying for a building or plumbing permit email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5741.