Subdivide your lot

You need to get approval to subdivide or reconfigure a privately titled lot. This includes:

  • dividing a lot into more than 1 parcel;
  • combining 2 or more lots into 1;
  • making boundary adjustments;
  • lot enlargements;
  • condominium surveys; and
  • in some cases, long-term leases.

The City of Whitehorse and Dawson City each has its own subdivision bylaws. Land Planning Branch processes all other subdivision applications.

To subdivide agriculture land, there are extra requirements.

  • You must have owned the lot for at least 10 years.
  • Your lot must contain the your primary residence.
  • Your lot can only be subdivided once, and the resulting lots cannot be further subdivided.
  • The subdivided lots will be zoned for agriculture.
  • The area's existing land plan and zoning determine the size of the subdivided lots.

Find out if your lot can be subdivided

Get in touch with a subdivision land use planner to talk about whether you can subdivide your lot. Phone 867-667-3515 or email

Apply for a subdivision

  1. Download the appropriate application form:
  2. Fill out the application form. Include:
    • a site plan (scaled) of the proposed subdivision showing lots, roads, and proposed and existing structures;
    • a copy of current Certificate of Title;
    • proof that the property taxes are paid; and
    • signatures of all individuals listed on the property title. If you are applying on behalf of the title holder(s), get their permission.
  3. Submit the completed application and $100 plus 5% GST.
    In person: Room 320, Elijah Smith Building, 200 Main Street in Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Land Planning Branch (K-320LP)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Timeline for decision

We make a decision within 90 days of receipt of your completed application. We will send you a decision letter by registered mail.

Next steps after receiving your decision

If your application is approved, hire a surveyor certified by the Association of Canada Lands Surveyors:

  • give them the approval letter and subdivision sketch; and
  • have them survey the lot.

Your surveyor must submit the survey within 12 months of the decision date.

After your survey is submitted

  1. We ensure that all conditions of the subdivision are met. For example, if a single lot is subdivided into 2 lots, you will have to pay a $100 fee for each new lot.
  2. After you've met the conditions of the subdivision, we give final approval.
  3. Then, you work with the surveyor or a lawyer to register the survey at the Land Titles Office.

If your application is denied

You can appeal the decision and ask for a variance from the Yukon Municipal Board within 30 days of receiving the decision. To find out more, phone the Yukon Municipal Board 867-334-7472.