You need a permit to remove or abandon in place a residential underground fuel tank. Fuel tanks can't be reinstalled or reused.
1. The company you hire will get a permit to:
- remove and dispose of a tank, or
- decommission it by draining the remaining product and filling the tank with material such as sand or concrete.
2. Building Safety and Standards will inspect the work.
3. They will issue you an inspection certificate to verify the tank was removed or decommissioned. This certificate is important as insurance industry policies for underground fuel storage tanks may affect your ability to buy, sell or insure a home.
For questions about removing or decommissioning a fuel tank email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5741.