Change your given name or last name

  • Types of name changes
  • How to change your given or last name
  • Apply to change a child's given or last name
  • Fees and where to submit your application

You must be a Yukon resident to change your name in Yukon. Because of how many requests we receive, it can take us up to 4 weeks to process your request.

  1. Types of name changes

    Legal name change

    A legal name change is when you formally change your birth name. You'll need to have your birth certificate changed to your new name.

    You'll get:

    • a change of name certificate; and
    • a birth certificate in your new name.

    Name change after marriage

    After marriage you may choose to use:

    • the last name you had immediately before the marriage;
    • the last name you had at birth or by adoption;
    • the last name of your spouse by marriage; or
    • a hyphenated name consisting of your last name and your spouse's last name.

    Changing to your spouse's last name is not seen as a legal change of name under the Change of Name Act. It's seen as an assumed name. There is no charge to change to the new last name, aside from the marriage certificate cost.

    Changing back to a previous name

    If you want to change your name back to your birth name, such as divorce or for any other reason, you can do so by providing documents, such as:

    • your birth certificate;
    • your marriage certificate; or
    • a divorce document.

    If you need to update your identification, contact the issuer to find out what documents they need.

  2. How to change your given or last name
    1. Contact us to receive a legal change of name package.
    2. In your application, provide us with your:
      • current and proposed names in full;
      • current address;
      • any other addresses you had during the 3 months before your application;
      • reason for your proposed name change;
      • birth date;
      • place of birth; and
      • signature to confirm that what you've told us is true.
    3. Pay the fees.

    Your application must also include any documents required under the Change of Name Act and Regulations, such as court orders or paperwork to do with consent. We can help you figure out which documents you'll need.

  3. Apply to change a child's given or last name

    You can apply to change the given or last name of a child if you're:

    • the child's mother;
    • the child's father; or
    • a person who has custody rights over the child under the the Children's Act.

    You can only change the child's last name to:

    • the mother's last name;
    • the father's last name;
    • the last name of a person who has custody rights over the child under the Children's Act; or
    • a hyphenated last name consisting of 2 of the last names of the people named above.

    Your application must be include the written consent of every other person who:

    • has lawful custody of the child; or
    • is lawfully entitled to access to the child.

  4. Fees and where to submit your application


    • Change of name: $50
    • Each additional family member you include in your application: $17.50

    How to pay

    You can pay the application fees by:

    • money order;
    • credit card, including Visa, Mastercard and American Express;
    • Interac; or
    • cash.

    Submit your application and fees

    In person: 4th floor, Financial Plaza at 204 Lambert Street in Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    Fax: 867-393-6486

    Government of Yukon
    Change of name (H–2)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6


For more information, or to ask for a legal change of name package, email or phone 867-667-5207, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5207.