Propose a temporary off-road vehicle restriction

We can temporarily restrict off-road vehicle use for up to 90 days in cases when immediate protection of sensitive areas is necessary.

We can create the temporary restrictions in areas:

  • not proposed to become an off-road vehicle management area; or
  • that are proposed to become an off-road vehicle management area.


You can submit a proposal for a temporary off-road vehicle restriction if you represent:

  • the Government of Canada;
  • the Government of Yukon;
  • a Yukon First Nations government;
  • a municipal government;
  • the Yukon Fish and Wildlife Management Board;
  • a Renewable Resource Council; or
  • a Local Advisory Council.

If you do not represent any of the above organizations, you must have one of them complete and submit the application on your behalf.

Prepare your proposal

Your application must contain the following information. Include as many details as possible.

  • Your name and contact details.
  • A description of the proposed temporary off-road vehicle restriction area.
  • Reasons why the restriction should be created.
  • Evidence for why the area requires restrictions, such as:
    • details of off-road vehicle damage;
    • images of the area;
    • studies describing the area’s sensitivity;
    • affidavits of the sensitivity or damage; or
    • documentation of support from affected First Nations.

Submit your proposal

Submit your proposal to the Land Management Branch.
In person: We're located at 320-300 Main Street in Whitehorse. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Government of Yukon
Land Management Branch (K-320)
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

After you submit your proposal

After you submit your proposal, we’ll inspect the area to confirm the need for a temporary restriction. Then, we’ll review your proposal and make a decision on creating a temporary restriction.


The Land Management Branch can help you with any questions. Phone 867-667-3185 or email