Where can I drive my off-road vehicle?

Off-road vehicles (ORVs) include vehicles such as ATVs, dirt bikes, ARGOs and quads.

You can drive your ORV on most unoccupied public land. Be aware of where you are because restrictions can be in place in protected areas, campgrounds, First Nations Settlement Land, communities and land where other activities are taking place.

Areas where restrictions or requirements may exist

It's your responsibility to know where you are when using an ORV and what restrictions apply.

Yukon's roads and highways

Helmet requirements

  • Everyone 16 and under must wear a helmet at all times while operating or riding an off-road vehicle anywhere in the territory.
  • Everyone is required to wear a helmet when travelling on a maintained roadway.

Licence, registration and insurance requirements

When operating an off-road vehicle on, or crossing over a maintained roadway, you must have:

  • a valid driver’s licence;
  • vehicle registration; and
  • vehicle insurance.

Within municipalities and communities

Municipalities and communities may have their own rules for ORV use within their boundaries. Check with your municipality to find out if there are any rules you need to know. ORV users in Whitehorse must follow the city bylaws.

Yukon campgrounds

Stay on roads and established ORV trails in campgrounds. You must have your registration, insurance and licence, and be wearing a helmet to ride on a road.

Parks and conservation areas

There are many different conservation areas in Yukon and they all have different ORV rules. Whether you'll be driving in a national park or special management area, it's best to speak with staff at your local Environment office or check in with parks staff to ensure you are aware of any restrictions.

First Nations Settlement Land

You can access pre-existing trails on undeveloped First Nations Settlement Land (Section 6 of Yukon First Nations Final Agreements). Contact the First Nation office if you have any questions about travelling on a specific piece of Settlement Land.

Industrial sites

Industrial sites can pose health and safety concerns for the public and therefore access may be restricted, even when the site is on public land. When riding your ORV near industrial sites, please respect any signs or barriers to keep yourself safe.

Private property

You need consent from the land owners before accessing privately titled land in Yukon unless an easement or access agreement is in place.

Limit your impact on the land

Wetlands, alpine areas with thin soils, old growth forests, grasslands and ungulate ranges are quite sensitive. Stay on existing trails when you can and practise "tread lightly" principles to avoid damaging the landscape and local wildlife habitat.

Read a fact sheet on cleaning off your off-road vehicle.

Managing off-road use to protect the environment

The Government of Yukon is working on regulations to help manage potential environmental damage caused by off-road vehicle use. These regulations will outline where ORV management areas will be established and how they will be regulated. Learn more about the regulations development.

Stay safe when you use your ORV

  • Wear a helmet at all times.
  • Don't drive while impaired. This is a criminal offence and a serious safety risk.
  • Travel at safe speeds and obey posted speed limits both on roads and on trails.
  • Ensure your off-road vehicle is the appropriate type for your size and age.
  • Ensure your off-road vehicle is in good working order and carry an emergency kit. This can include things like a spare drive belt, spark plugs, first aid kit and tow rope.
  • Ensure you read your owner's manual for your off-road vehicle.
  • Never travel alone. Always travel with another rider. Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.
  • Carry an outdoor survival kit.