We maintain 9 backcountry campgrounds and 2 day-use backcountry recreation areas. These sites have limited facilities and can be accessed by foot, air or water.
- Fort Selkirk Historic Site
- Herschel Island – Qikiqtaruk
- Thirty Mile – Yukon River (4 backcountry campgrounds, visible from the river: Lower Laberge, The Slough, Two Woodpecker Point and Hootalinqua; 2 day-use recreation areas: US Bend Island and Shipyard Island)
- Tombstone Territorial Park – Grizzly, Talus, Divide lakes (3 backcountry campgrounds)
Check Yukon511.ca for road conditions prior to travelling.
Camping season for Tombstone backcountry sites is July to mid-September.
Registration is required for Hershel Island - Qikiqtaruk and the 3 Tombstone backcountry campgrounds.
Reservations required for Tombstone Territorial Park
You need to make an online reservation in order to secure a site at the 3 backcountry campgrounds in Tombstone Territorial Park.
If there is a cancellation, you may be able to secure a permit in person at the Tombstone Interpretive Centre on a first come, first served basis. The centre is located at Km 71.5 on the Dempster Highway.
- Go to the online backcountry reservation system.
You can view maps and campsite availability without signing in. If you want to reserve a campsite or view or change your reservation, you need to sign in or create a new account.
- Select the dates and campsites you want.
Note: you cannot reserve the Divide or Talus lake sites for your first night of camping because they are too far to reach on day 1.
- Pay by credit card to complete your reservation.
- We will email you a reservation confirmation. Bring this with you to the Tombstone Interpretive Centre to pick up your camping permit.
See Hike and camp at Tombstone Territorial Park for more information on how to reserve, register and get a camping permit for backcountry camping at this park.
Backcountry campgrounds and recreation areas
Yukon's backcountry campgrounds and recreation area facilities are limited. Check the facilities at the site you're interested in to help you plan your trip.