The Yukon has 8 territorial parks and 12 habitat protection or special management areas. Some of these areas are established and some are in the process of being designated protected areas.
Canada-Yukon Nature Agreement
Currently, 19.1 per cent of the Yukon is protected under the Canadian Protected and Conserved Areas Database.
The agreement invests $20.6 million to protect and conserve new areas of the Yukon and enhance efforts to protect species at risk.
The Canada-Yukon Nature agreement will help with:
- identifying and reporting new protected areas to achieve 25 per cent of the landscape conserved by 2025;
- supporting Indigenous leadership in conservation;
- creating a pathway to protect 30 per cent of the landscape by 2030;
- advancing efforts to protect species at risk together with Yukon First Nations, transboundary First Nations and the Inuvialuit; and
- increasing knowledge collection and data sharing between the governments of Canada, the Yukon and Yukon First Nations, transboundary First Nations and the Inuvialuit.
Read the full Canada-Yukon Nature Agreement on the federal government's website.
Yukon Parks Strategy
The Yukon Parks Strategy sets the long-term direction for the Yukon’s territorial parks system from 2020 to 2030. It will help ensure healthy land, healthy people and a healthy economy.
Major actions include:
- extending the camping season from May 1 to September 30;
- building a new campground near Whitehorse with up to 150 campsites;
- co-developing a collaborative management framework with Yukon First Nations;
- developing new trails in territorial parks;
- increasing the number of accessible wilderness experiences at boat-in and hike-in campsites;
- expanding park infrastructure;
- testing a campground reservation system; and
- developing a Parks System Plan.
Read the Yukon Parks Strategy.
Yukon territorial parks
- Agay Mene Territorial Park
- Asi Keyi Territorial Park
- Coal River Springs Territorial Park
- Herschel Island-Qikiqtaruk Territorial Park
- Kusawa Territorial Park
- Ni'iinlii Njik (Fishing Branch) Territorial Park
- Dàadzàii Vàn Territorial Park
- Tombstone Territorial Park
Habitat Protection and Special Management areas
- Ch'ihilii Chìk (Whitefish Wetlands) Habitat Protection Area
- Ddhaw Ghro Habitat Protection Area
- Devil’s Elbow and Big Island Habitat Protection Area
- Ni'iinlii Njik (Fishing Branch) Wilderness Preserve and Habitat Protection Area
- Nuna K'óhonete Yédäk Tah'é (Horseshoe Slough) Habitat Protection Area
- Łύtsäw Wetland Habitat Protection Area
- Mandanna Lake
- Pickhandle Lakes Habitat Protection Area
- Tagish River Habitat Protection Area
- Ta'tla Mun Special Management Area
- Tsâwnjuk Chu (Nordenskiold) Habitat Protection Area
- Van Tat K'atr'anahtii (Old Crow Flats) Special Management Area