You need to take this 4 1/2 day basic trapper training workshop to get a trapping or assistant trapper licence. You'll learn:
- Ethics, regulations, rights and responsibilities
- Safety and survival
- Furbearing animal biology and management
- Business and operational planning
- First Nations perspectives
- Fur handling and pelt preparation (1-day practicum)
- Humane trapping methods (field day and practicum)
- Modern trapping tools (55-minute practicum)
- Snare-making (90-minute practicum)
Each participant will receive a Yukon Trappers' Manual.
Who should take the Yukon trapper education workshop?
- Anyone who wants to hold a trapping concession or get a trapping or assistant trapper licence.
- Anyone who's 16 years or older. Youth between the ages of 12 and 16 years old can take this training if they're accompanied by an adult.
- If you've graduated from a recognized trapper education training course in another Canadian jurisdiction, you may not need to take this training. Email email@example.com to find out.
- If you're a trapper who has not been licensed for 10 or more years we recommend you take this workshop as a refresher.
Previously licensed trappers 65 years and older are exempt from the training requirement.
Register for the Yukon trapper education workshop
Watch this page for upcoming trapper education workshops and then register.
There are 12 seats in these workshops. They're available on a first-come, first-served basis. Yukon residents will be given priority due to limited seating. If you register in person you may be served before those who register by phone.
- Reserve your seat at a workshop in person at any Department of Environment office or call Client Solutions at 667-5652 or 1-800-661-0408, extension 5652.
- Pay the workshop fee of $315 to confirm your reservation. Contact us if you've applied for funding support so we can confirm it's been approved and your seat is reserved.
You can pay:
In person: by cash, cheque, debit or credit card
By phone: by credit card
When you register you'll have to provide us with your:
- mailing address;
- phone numbers; and
- email address.
Find out if you qualify for funding support
To find out about funding programs, contact your First Nations government or your regional community training fund.
Schedule of upcoming workshops
These workshops are held throughout the Yukon. You may register for 1 of the workshops listed below.
Check back for 2023 workshop dates.
Sign up to get email notifications on future workshops
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Client Solutions at 867-667-5652 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5652 and ask us to add your name and contact information to the notification list. When we've finalized the workshop schedule, we'll send everyone on the list the workshop and registration details.
Are there specialized trapping workshops?
The Yukon Trappers Association offers specialty workshops for trappers. Contact them at email@example.com or by phone at 867-667-7091 for additional information.
The Fur Institute of Canada's Best Trapping Practices Manual also has information about specific trapping skill sets.