How to buy or export wildlife parts and products

  • Buying or finding wildlife parts and products
  • Exporting wildlife parts from Yukon

  1. Buying or finding wildlife parts and products

    What are wildlife parts and products?

    Wildlife parts include:

    • antlers;
    • hides;
    • claws;
    • feathers;
    • fur;
    • teeth; and
    • other non-edible parts of wildlife.


    Manufactured products made from wildlife include:

    • carvings;
    • tanned hides;
    • tuftings;
    • clothing or clothing which contains fur trim;
    • taxidermy items; and
    • any other products made from wildlife parts.

    Buying wildlife parts and products

    Buying and selling these items is regulated by wildlife conservation laws.

    Buying from a licensed craft shop, taxidermist or tanner is the safest way to purchase wildlife products.

    If you want to buy a wildlife part from an individual, make sure they have a permit for the sale. The sale is not legal without a permit issued prior to the sale.

    Don’t buy wildlife parts or products from an unlicensed business. Items purchased without a permit, or from an unlicensed manufactured product business may be seized. You will not get an export permit.

    If you need advice about a buying opportunity, email or phone: 867-667-5652 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5652.

    Finding wildlife parts

    To possess any part of a wildlife carcass you've found in the field, you must first bring the item to a Department of Environment office and ask for a permit to possess wildlife found by chance. A conservation officer will ask you a few questions and may issue a permit depending on the circumstances and if possession of the wildlife is permitted under the Wildlife Act. However, they cannot issue permits for certain species protected by federal legislation.

    You don't need a permit to keep a naturally shed moose, caribou, elk or deer antler as long as the burr at its base is intact.

  2. Exporting wildlife parts from Yukon

    Do I need a permit?

    You need a wildlife export permit before you can transport wildlife parts from Yukon whether you bought it, found it, or harvested it yourself. Export permits are no longer required if you have up to 20 kilograms of processed big game meat. You are also exempted from an export permit if you are returning to Yukon with big game harvested in Yukon using the most direct route through the Northwest Territories, travelling on the Nahanni Range Road within 24 hours.

    Apply for a wildlife export permit

    1. If you hunted the animal, make sure you reported your harvest, made all biological submissions and paid all harvest fees.
    2. Complete the wildlife export permit application form in-person at a Department of Environment office. You will need to have the following information on hand to do this:
      • Complete name, address and phone number of the sender.
      • Complete name, address and phone number of the recipient.
      • Name of person who harvested the wildlife.
      • Licence (hunting or trapping) or permit number and year the wildlife item was legally harvested or possessed.
      • Species and description of the wildlife part.
      • Sheep horn plug number, if applicable.
      • Number of packages in the shipment.
    3. Submit the application.
    4. When you receive your permit, you must clearly mark your shipment containing wildlife parts with:
      • Name and address of the sender.
      • Wildlife export permit number.
      • A true statement of contents.

    Endangered species and CITES permits

    You will need to get an additional Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) permit if you want to export any parts of the following wildlife out of Canada from the following species:

    • grizzly bear;
    • black bear;
    • polar bear;
    • otter;
    • lynx; or
    • wolf.


    Many countries have their own import requirements for wildlife parts. It is your responsibility to make sure your items meet the import requirements of the country you are shipping to.

    The Canada Border Services Agency will inspect all shipments at the point of export. They will validate the CITES permit at that time.

    Apply for a CITES permit

    For grizzly bear, black bear, lynx, otter and wolf:

    1. If you are a non-resident big game hunter, make sure you have an outfitter/chief guide/hunter report harvest fee receipt and wildlife export (OHE) permit first.
    2. Complete the appropriate federal application form for the parts or products you intend to export.
    3. Contact the nearest Department of Environment office at least 24 hours in advance and say that you intend to get a CITES permit.
    4. Submit the application at the Department of Environment office.


    The Government of Yukon cannot edit existing permits or reissue expired permits.

    For polar bear:

    Apply for a permit directly through the Government of Canada.