Get a permit to cut fuel wood for your home

You can apply for a free forest resources permit to cut fuel wood (firewood) for personal use such as heating your home. Upon approval, you can cut up to 25 m3 (11 cords). 

You must have your permit on you in either digital or paper form when you are cutting. Ensure you understand all the terms and conditions of your permit. Cutting without a permit can result in fines, confiscation of the wood and other charges. 

The personal use forest resources permit for fuel wood is free. 

Get a permit 

Apply online 

Time to complete application: 2-5 minutes 

Get a personal fuel wood permit

Apply in person

Apply at your local Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections office.

Where can I cut my fuel wood?

You can only cut fuel wood in designated areas. There are several ways you can find approved areas.

View an interactive map of designated harvest areas

Download maps below:

Contact Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections about designated harvest areas.

To harvest green birch in the Dawson area, visit the Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections office in Dawson to get a special over-the-counter permit.

Cutting outside designated harvest areas

You can also request an area of vacant public land to cut on, but we must approve its suitability before cutting. Contact Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections for more information.

Cutting within municipalities

Some municipalities allow harvesting within their limits. You still need a permit and can only cut within designated areas. You may also be subject to additional bylaws, regulations and responsibilities. Your local Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections office can provide further information.

Cutting over 25 m3 (11 cords) a year

Speak to a Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections representative about your options. You will need an additional permit and you will have to pay stumpage and fees on wood above 25 m3 (11 cords).

Do you want to sell the fuel wood you cut?

You will need to apply for a commercial fuel wood licence.


If you have questions about getting a permit for personal fuel wood, contact the Forest Management Branch. Phone 867-456-3999 or email [email protected].