- Procurement panel recommendations and response
- Procurement Business Committee
- Regional economic development (RED) exceptions
- List of regional economic development exceptions
- Limited tendering and legitimate objectives
Procurement panel recommendations and response
The Government of Yukon is making improvements to procurement in response to the 2016 Procurement Advisory Panel recommendations. Read the:
With ongoing input from industry and First Nations, we continue to focus on:
- maximizing Yukon economic benefit;
- improving quality and consistency of procurements across government; and
- reducing barriers and increasing opportunities for local businesses and First Nations.
Procurement Business Committee
In May 2018, the Procurement Business Committee was set up to encourage collaboration with:
- industry associations; and
- First Nations development corporations.
The Procurement Business Committee gives input on procurement improvements to the Government of Yukon.
Meetings chaired by the Deputy Minister of Highways and Public Works. Each of the following business and government organizations have representation on the committee:
- Yukon First Nations development corporations
- Yukon First Nations Chamber of Commerce
- Yukon Chamber of Commerce
- Whitehorse Chamber of Commerce
- Dawson City Chamber of Commerce
- Watson Lake Chamber of Commerce
- Yukon Contractors Association
- Association of Consulting Engineers of Canada-Yukon
Every Yukon First Nations development corporation is invited to participate.
Read the current Terms of reference for the Procurement Business Committee.
Regional economic development (RED) exceptions
The Government of Yukon uses its trade agreement exceptions to promote regional economic development. Under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) and the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), the Government of Yukon can:
- select 10 projects;
- worth up to $1,000,000 each;
- that support small enterprises or employment opportunities; and
- invite only Yukon businesses to bid.
When exceptions are used, public notice has to be given as follows.
The following procurements conform to the requirements of the exceptions noted. Each procurement has a total value below $1 million and supports small enterprises or employment opportunities.
The following procurements, that are within the Government of Yukon's jurisdiction and made by the government, promote regional economic development by supporting small enterprises such as those based in Yukon and increasing employment opportunities for local residents in non-urban areas.
List of regional economic development exceptions
The procurement process for the projects listed below is by invitation only. Only those who have been formally invited in writing by the Government of Yukon to submit bids or proposals will have their bids or proposals accepted. Bids or proposals received from people other than those formally invited in writing will not be accepted and returned to the bidder or proponent unopened.
Procurement exceptions for the fiscal year beginning April 1, 2020, and ending March 31, 2021.
Posted February 24, 2020
- Vegetation control (eastern Yukon)
- Vegetation control (western Yukon)
- Variable message board and traffic classifiers (various locations)
Posted April 8, 2020
- Water Treatment Plant upgrades (Carcross)
Posted May 5, 2020
- Yukon Archives security update (Whitehorse)
Renewable energy feasibility studies (Whitehorse)
Posted May 19, 2020
Hamilton Boulevard road upgrades (Whitehorse)
Posted August 26, 2020
Mary Lake shaded fuelbreak trail reinforcement (Whitehorse)
Posted December 18, 2020
Local food (various locations)
Solar energy feasibility study (Whitehorse)
Procurement exceptions for the fiscal year beginning April 1, 2019, and ending March 31, 2020.
Posted June 19, 2019
- Exterior energy and ventilation upgrades 10 Yukon Housing Corporation units on Hanson Street – Construction (Whitehorse)
- Culvert replacement kilometre 1600 Alaska Highway (Carmacks area)
- Aerodrome – Construction, resurfacing (Ross River)
- Vanier Catholic Secondary School light fixture and exit replacement (Whitehorse)
- Selkirk School modular classroom – Construction design build (Whitehorse)
Posted November 6, 2019
- Landfill compliance monitoring – Consulting (Southern Yukon)
- Landfill compliance monitoring – Consulting (Central Yukon)
Posted December 10, 2019
- Vacation planner – Graphic design (Whitehorse)
- Surface and ground water monitoring program (Ketza River Mine site)
Posted February 13, 2020
- Concrete barrier manufacturing (Teslin, Watson Lake, Whitehorse)
Procurement exceptions for the fiscal year (April 1, 2018, to March 31, 2019).
- Public address system replacements for Porter Creek Secondary School and Vanier Catholic School: construction (Whitehorse)
- French First Language Secondary School owner’s design team: consultant services (Whitehorse).
- Modular classroom for Golden Horn: design build (Whitehorse)
- Concrete road side barriers: supply and deliver (Whitehorse)
- Bridge construction: Lee Creek and Dominion Creek (Dawson)
- Concrete road side barriers : supply and delivery (various locations)
- Concrete barriers: site preparation and placement (various locations)
- Craig Street hydraulic tower replacement: construction (Dawson)
- Andrew A. Philipsen Law Centre holding cell improvements: construction (Whitehorse)
- Elijah Smith Elementary School lighting: construction (Whitehorse)
Procurement exceptions for the fiscal year (April 1, 2017, to March 31, 2018).
- Campbell Highway: slope and drainage improvements. Heavy civil earthworks on a remote highway (Campbell Highway)
- Whitehorse airport: maintenance garage ventilation upgrade. Heating and ventilation at Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport, YXY (Whitehorse)
- Fraser water line and treatment replacement: underground utilities and water treatment system installation at a remote highway maintenance camp (Fraser, Klondike Highway)
- Cleaning services: Whitehorse air terminal. Cleaning services in a high security area of Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport, YXY (Whitehorse)
- Cleaning services: Whitehorse buildings. Cleaning services in offices (Whitehorse)
- Roof replacement: Carcross School. Replace school roof in remote community (Carcross)
- Roof Replacement: Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board Building. Replace roof on office building (Whitehorse)
- Stand-by-generator: Combined Services Building. Generator replacement at office building (Whitehorse)
- Boiler replacement: Watson Lake Elementary School. Boiler system replacement for school heating system in a remote community (Watson Lake)
- Generator: Porter Creek Secondary School. Generator replacement at a school (Whitehorse)
Limited tendering and legitimate objectives
The Government of Yukon has tendered the project(s) below using:
- the Limited Tendering (Article 513) or Legitimate Objectives (Article 501) exception; and
- the declaration of a state of emergency in Yukon.
Flagging Services (Watson Lake)
Article 501 being used for maintenance of public security and the protection of human, animal and plant life.
Awarded to: 16142 Yukon Inc. O/A Northern Environmental Services
Bid price: $144,750
Date the contract was signed: June 29, 2020