Find out about domestic and sexualized violence leave

What is the Employment Standards Act?

The Employment Standards Act and Regulation set the minimum standards for employment in Yukon.

The Act covers most employers and employees. It does not apply to:

  • territorial, First Nations and federal governments;
  • employees who are covered by a collective agreement (unless it does not meet the minimum standards);
  • employees who are excluded by regulations, such as sitters (a person who is hired on a causal basis to look after a child, a disabled person or other person in a private residence); and
  • employees who are employed by sectors that fall under the federal jurisdiction. These include:
    • banks;
    • airlines;
    • inter-provincial trucking companies;
    • post offices; and
    • radio and television stations.

Domestic and sexualized violence leave

Domestic and sexual violence leave can be taken all at once, as single days or in groups of days. The leave provides:

  • 5 days of paid leave; and
  • 5 days of unpaid leave.

If needed, a longer-term of up to 15 unpaid weeks can be taken. This leave may be taken non-consecutively or not all at once with the employer’s consent.

When does an employee qualify for this leave?

After 90 days of employment

  • Paid short-term leave
  • Unpaid long-term leave

Immediately upon employment

Unpaid short-term leave

What proof is required?

No proof is required to take this leave. An employer can require that a notice form be used to request the leave.

The Act allows employees to access paid and unpaid leave under these situations if they're a:

  • victim of domestic or sexualized violence targeted at the victim because of their sexuality or gender;
  • person who experiences violence by supporting a child, family member, intimate partner;
  • a close friend who is the victim or domestic or sexualized violence; and
  • victim of domestic violence, that includes violence by a family member or intimate partner.

Resources for employers

  • Download an example of a notice form that a business can use for their employees to ask for domestic and sexualized violence leave.

For more information

  • Read the fact sheet about domestic and sexualized violence leave under the Employment Standards Act.
  • Read the fact sheet about domestic violence and residential tenancies under the Residential Landlord and Tenant Act.
  • Read the "Did you know?" infographic to learn domestic and sexualized violence leave and paid or unpaid time off.
  • Visit the Women and Gender Equity Directorate for more resources.

For more information contact the Employment Standards Office. Email or phone 867-667-5944. If you're a victim of domestic or sexualized violence, find supports for you.