Get a heavy trailer endorsement licence

  1. Find out if you're eligible
  2. Take the pre-inspection and road test

  1. Find out if you're eligible
    • You must have a valid class-1, -2, -3, -4 and -5 driver's licence.
    • You aren't in the Graduated Driver Licensing program (GDL).
    • If you plan to tow a trailer with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of over 4,550 kilograms (10,000 pounds), even if the trailer is your own private trailer. Your truck and trailer cannot have air brakes.


  2. Take the pre-inspection and road test
    1. Read the section on towing in the owner's manual of your vehicle.
    2. Read your trailer and trailer brake manual.
    3. Read chapter 10 of the Yukon Commercial Vehicle handbook to learn about pre-trip inspections.
    4. Contact your nearest Motor Vehicles office to set up an appointment to take your pre-trip inspection and road tests.
    5. Ensure your trailer is in good working condition. More information about appropriate vehicle configurations is available in the Yukon Commercial Vehicle handbook.
    6. We'll let you know immediately if you pass or fail.
    7. If you fail a test, we'll let you know what your options are.


    There's a $20 fee for the test.


For questions about licensing, email, or phone 867-667-5315 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5315.