Rezone your property

If you want to use your property for a use not permitted under your existing zoning, you can apply to rezone it. This requires amending the area development regulation or receiving approval to rezone by Ministerial Order. For example, rezoning is normally required to change the use of your lot from residential to commercial.

For property inside an incorporated municipality, contact the municipal government.

Find out if you need to rezone

You can find out what land uses are allowed on your property by reading your area development regulations. If you need to determine what zoning applies to your property, you can look at a zoning map.

Get in touch with Land Planning Branch to talk about area development regulations that apply in your area. Phone 867-667-3515 or email

Apply for rezoning

  1. Download the zoning amendment application form.
  2. Complete the form.
    • Include a location map and description of the property.
    • Identify the existing use(s) and your proposed use(s).
    • Include a copy of the current Certificate of Title;
    • Get the signature of all individuals listed on the property title. If you're applying on behalf of the title holder(s), get their permission.
  3. Submit the completed application.
    In person: Room 320, Elijah Smith Building, 200 Main Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Land Planning Branch (K-320LP)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
  4. We check that your application meets the relevant laws and land planning policies.
  5. We then share your application with relevant government agencies and First Nations. We notify neighbours of the property and invite comments on the rezoning. Sometimes a public meeting may be held.
  6. After the comment period, the Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources or Cabinet makes a decision on your application.
  7. We will advise you of the decision in writing.

Timeline for decision

Rezoning can take between 4 and 6 months. Complex applications can take up to 18 months or more.

Next steps after receiving your decision

If approved, contact the building inspectors at the Fire and Life Safety Branch for building or other needed permits. Phone 867-667-5741 or email Contact your municipality to ask if you need any other permits.