Get a property zoning variance

A variance is an authorization allowing a small change to the usual requirements of a zoning regulation. Some Yukon zoning regulations allow a development officer to vary certain rules by up to 10 per cent. In other cases, a variance must be approved by the Zoning Appeal Board.

Find out if you need a variance

Get in touch with with Land Planning Branch to talk about development regulations in your area. Phone 867-667-3515 or email

Apply for a variance

  1. Download the development permit application form.
  2. Complete the form.
    • Include a site plan with distances to property lines and other relevant details.
    • Identify the variance being requested.
    • Get the signature of all individuals listed on the property title. If you are applying on behalf of the title holder(s), get their permission.
  3. Submit the completed application.
    In person: Room 320, Elijah Smith Building, 300 Main Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
    Government of Yukon
    Land Planning Branch (K-320LP)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Timeline for decision

Most applications take several weeks. Complex applications requiring input from other government agencies with technical expertise may take longer.

Next steps after receiving your decision

If approved, contact the Building Safety Branch for building or other needed permits. Phone 867-667-5741 or email Contact your municipality to ask if you need any other permits.

If your application is denied

You can appeal the decision and ask for a variance from the Yukon Municipal Board within 30 days of receiving the decision.