A variance is an authorization allowing a small change to the usual requirements of a zoning regulation. Some Yukon zoning regulations allow a development officer to vary certain rules by up to 10 per cent. In other cases, a variance must be approved by the Zoning Appeal Board.
Find out if you need a variance
Get in touch with with Land Planning Branch to talk about development regulations in your area. Phone 867-667-3734 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for a variance
- Download the development permit application form.
- Complete the form.
- Include a site plan with distances to property lines and other relevant details.
- Identify the variance being requested.
- Get the signature of all individuals listed on the property title. If you are applying on behalf of the title holder(s), get their permission.
- Submit the completed application.
In person: Room 320, Elijah Smith Building, 200 Main Street in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Land Planning Branch (K-320LP)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Timeline for decision
Most applications take several weeks. Complex applications requiring input from other government agencies with technical expertise may take longer.
Next steps after receiving your decision
If approved, contact the Building Safety Branch for building or other needed permits. Phone 867-667-5741 or email email@example.com. Contact your municipality to ask if you need any other permits.
If your application is denied
You can appeal the decision and ask for a variance from the Yukon Municipal Board within 30 days of receiving the decision. To find out more, phone the Yukon Municipal Board 867-334-7472.