Licensing year

Licences for 2019-2020 expire on March 31. You will not be able get licences for 2020-2021 until April 1.

Get a Yukon hunting licence

You need a valid Yukon hunting licence if you want to hunt in Yukon unless you are one of the exceptions.

Where to get a Yukon hunting licence


Get a Yukon hunting licence


  • You can renew your resident hunting licence online.
  • If you are a non-resident, you can get a hunting licence online.
  • If this is your first time getting a resident Yukon hunting licence, you will need to go into your nearest Environment office.

At Department of Environment offices

  1. Come to any of our offices with the required documentation.
  2. Purchase an electronic licence and Environmental ID from our staff. Make sure you keep the most recent copy of your licence.
  3. Use this licence to apply for permit hunt lotteries and submit your harvest reports.

Licence requirements

  • Your legal name, birth date, phone number and address.
  • A piece of government-issued photo ID.
  • You can't hold a Yukon resident hunting licence if you already have a valid resident hunting licence from another jurisdiction.

Hunter education

You need to provide hunter education certification if you didn’t have a licence last year or you're a Yukon resident born after April 1, 1987. This can be either:

Yukon residency

Bring in proof of residency if you are getting a Yukon resident hunting licence for the first time.

You're a Yukon resident if:

  • you are a Canadian citizen;
  • your primary residence is in Yukon for at least 12 months before applying for a licence; and
  • you have spent at least 185 days in Yukon during that period.

If you reside in Yukon but leave for school, work or medical reasons, you may qualify for a resident hunting licence. Visit a Department of Environment office to complete a residency exemption declaration form.


Non-residents need to hunt with an outfitter or special guide.

Suspensions and prohibitions

You must declare if you are suspended or prohibited from hunting in any other jurisdiction when you apply for a licence. We'll screen your application further to determine if you qualify to get a licence.

Your responsibilities

Licences are valid from April 1 to March 31. You must carry your licence, permits and seals when hunting and you're legally required to produce them when asked by a Conservation Officer. You can't use or possess another person’s hunting licence, seals or permits, or let another person use yours. Make sure you are familiar with Yukon hunting regulations summary.


Government Sales Tax (GST) will be added to all of the listed fees.

Big game licence

A big game licence allows you to hunt moose, caribou, wood bison, sheep, goat, grizzly bear, black bear, coyote, wolf and wolverine, as well as small game. Only Yukon resident hunters can hunt deer and elk.

You must be at least 12 years old to hold a big game licence. Youth under 16 need to hunt with an adult licence holder who is at least 19 years old. All youth are required to complete a hunter education course to get a licence.

You need to buy seals for big game species (except for wolf and coyote) before you hunt them. You may also need to apply for a Permit Hunt Authorization to hunt some species in some areas.

Big game licence fees

  • Yukon resident: $10
  • Non-resident Canadian: $75
  • Non-resident alien: $150
  • Trapping concession holder: $5
  • Senior (65+) Yukon resident: Free
  • First Nation or Inuvialuit: Free

Seal fees

You need to buy seals in addition to your big game licence for some species. You can buy seals from Department of Environment offices or an authorized vendor. First Nation citizens, Inuvialuit and Yukon citizens 65+ do not have to pay for their seals. Youth 14 to 16 years old may get their own seals. See the requirements in our Yukon hunting regulations summary.

  • Moose $10
  • Black bear $5
  • Caribou $10
  • Sheep $10
  • Goat $10
  • Elk $10
  • Bison $10
  • Grizzly bear $25
  • Deer $50

After you hunt

You must submit a harvest report to the Department of Environment for any big game you harvest. Some biological submissions are also required.

Small game licence

A small game licence allows you to hunt snowshoe hare, arctic ground squirrel, porcupine, grouse and ptarmigan. There is no age restriction for a small game licence. Youth under 16 need to hunt with an adult licence holder who is at least 19 years old. All youth are required to complete a hunter education course to get a licence.

Small game licence fees

  • Yukon resident: $5
  • Non-resident Canadian or alien: $20

Hunting migratory birds

You need a Yukon hunting licence, as well as a federal migratory game bird permit. Permits are available from post offices. You must follow the Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations.

Hunting licence exceptions

  • Members of a Yukon First Nation with a Final Agreement hunting for subsistence within their Traditional Territory.
  • Inuvialuit hunting for subsistence on the Yukon North Slope.
  • Members of a Yukon First Nation without a Final Agreement or Inuvialuit Yukon residents hunting for subsistence outside the Traditional Territory of First Nations with Final Agreements.
  • Members of a Yukon First Nation hunting for subsistence in the non-overlap Traditional Territory of another First Nation with the written permission from that First Nation.

These exceptions don't apply to hunting bison and elk. 

Environment ID and eServices account

When you get a new licence, you will get an Environment ID. You can use this ID to log in to Environment eServices. There you can view your client profile and access your licence, permit and harvest information.

You will need your Environment client ID, birth date and phone number to log in to your profile.

Log in

Replace your hunting licence

Replace lost or destroyed hunting licences at Department of Environment offices for $2 or you can reprint your electronic licence from your Environment eServices account free of charge.


For questions about applying for a hunting licence email or phone: 867-667-5652 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5652.