What's the Advisory Committee for Yukon Education?
This committee was formed in January 2016 to look at:
- what’s working in education;
- what is not working; and
- how we can achieve the outcomes we're seeking in Yukon’s schools and education system.
Work of the committee
The committee meets quarterly. It discusses opportunities and challenges in education. It has an eye to supporting Yukon learners from cradle to career.
The committee has:
- reviewed past reports and recommendations about education in the Yukon and identified;
- key themes; and
- explored K–12 curriculum from across Canada and recommended Yukon use B.C.’s new curriculum with additional Yukon and Yukon First Nations content and perspectives;
- participated in the review of inclusive and special education and supported the development of the related work plan; and
- provided feedback and suggestions on:
- the Yukon’s K–12 curriculum redesign;
- the updated student assessment guidelines;
- the cultural inclusion standards, in-service and training for Yukon educators;
- Yukon school calendars;
- school review and growth planning processes;
- public engagement strategies; and
- the work plan to address findings of the reviews of inclusive and special education and student attendance.
Members of the committee include representatives from Yukon First Nations and our partners:
- Yukon Child Care Board
- Yukon educators
- Association of Yukon School Administrators (AYSA)
- First Nation Education Commission
- Yukon First Nation Education Directorate
- Commission scolaire francophone du Yukon (CSFY)
- school councils
- Catholic Education Association of Yukon (CEAY)
- Association of Yukon School Councils, Boards and Committees (AYSCBC)
- Yukon Association of Education Professionals
- Yukon University
Meetings for 2022-23 school year
- October 20, 2022 - the meeting was focused on providing members updates on ongoing priorities including pandemic recovery; response to the 2019 audit; Reimagining Inclusive and Special Education (RISE), including Ready- to-Learn schools; and school growth planning and student performance outcomes.
- Additional meeting dates for 2022-23 year have been proposed and are being finalized with members.
Meetings for 2021–22 school year
- May 26, 2022 - the committee discussed ongoing priorities including pandemic recovery, response to the 2019 audit, Reimagining Inclusive and Special Education (RISE), providing opportunities for a greater student voice in education, school growth planning, student performance outcomes, and creating safer schools.
- March 3, 2022 – the committee discussed the terms of reference, the launch of work on the student outcome strategy and an update on inclusive and special education-related work. We'll publish the minutes once they're finalized with the committee.
- November 12, 2021 – committee members were invited to participate in an education summit on inclusive and special education. They were invited to be part of the 8 communities of inquiry to respond to the review of inclusive and special education during the summit. Read the summit recap.
Summer and fall 2021 meetings
In summer and fall 2021 there were:
- meetings of a committee of volunteers from the advisory committee and First Nation Education Commission; and
- meetings to discuss the work plan to respond to the findings of the reviews of inclusive and special education and student attendance.
Meetings took place on:
- September 15, 2021;
- September 9, 2021;
- August 25, 2021;
- August 18, 2021;
- August 4, 2021;
- July 21, 2021; and
- July 9, 2021.
Meetings for 2020–21 school year
- June 30, 2021, meeting – the committee discussed the final report on the review of inclusive and special education and next steps. This included identifying members to collaborate on the development of the work plan. There were no minutes for this meeting.
- November 18, 2020, meeting – this was a review of inclusive and special education focus group held with Dr. Nikki Yee with committee members and additional stakeholder groups. At this meeting, there were also updates on the review and the 2nd learning during COVID-19 survey. There were no minutes for this meeting.
- October 2, 2020, meeting – this was the advisory committee working group meeting 2 to develop the online tool for the review of inclusive and special education. There were no minutes for this meeting.
- September 29, 2020, meeting – this was the advisory committee working group meeting 1 to develop the online tool for the review of inclusive and special education. There were no minutes for this meeting.
- September 9, 2020, meeting – view the meeting minutes.
Earlier meeting updates
Meetings for the 2018–19 school year
- Meeting minutes October 30, 2019
- Meeting minutes November 29, 2018
- Meeting minutes September 20, 2018