Learn about the dispute resolution process for Yukon schools

Open, regular communication is a shared responsibility of parents and teachers.

Most disagreements that arise in school communities can be resolved through respectful discussion.

Sometimes you may need more formality. To help with resolving problems, we follow a clear dispute resolution process. It’s in the best interests of students.

The basic dispute resolution process

To resolve problems in school communities, it’s important to take these steps.

  1. Speak with the teacher or staff member involved.
  2. If the problem is not resolved, you can raise your concern with authorities in this order:
    • principal or vice-principal;
    • superintendent or school council;
    • Assistant Deputy Minister of public schools.

To contact a superintendent phone the office of the superintendents 867-667-5068.

Find contact information for your school council on your school’s website.

Email the Assistant Deputy Minister of public schools [email protected].

School councils

As outlined in Section 156 of the Education Act, you can appeal to a school council about a decision that:

  • was made by a school staff member; and
  • significantly affects the education, health or safety of a student.

You can also appeal student suspensions of more than 10 days, as outlined in Section 41(4) of the Education Act.

School councils establish policies and procedures for their schools. They are based on the School Council Dispute Resolution Procedure Policy. To find your school’s policies, check your school’s website or contact the school.

Appeal a decision

Learn how to submit an appeal to the Education Appeal Tribunal.

Protecting privacy

Student privacy is legally protected. If a problem involves the behaviour of another student, staff are limited in what they can tell you.

Staff privacy is also legally protected. Principal and staff are limited in what they can tell you when a problem involves the behaviour of:

  • a teacher; or
  • staff member.

School councils are sometimes involved in confidential matters. School council members cannot reveal personal information about staff or students.

When should you contact the Deputy Minister

Contact the Department of Education Deputy Minister if a problem is not resolved through:

  • the basic dispute resolution process; and
  • it cannot be appealed to a school council or the Education Appeal Tribunal.

Email the Deputy Minister [email protected].

Guiding documents


For questions, email [email protected] or phone 867-667-5068 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5127.