Keeping students and bus drivers safe is a shared responsibility. We work with Standard Bus, school communities and the RCMP to manage risks along Yukon bus routes.
- In an emergency, our first priority is to ensure the safety of students.
- If an emergency happens, government staff and Standard Bus will coordinate an immediate response.
- We keep phone numbers for who parents would like us to call in case of an emergency. In the case of an emergency, we will use these to share timely information with parents.
Cold weather safety
- Ensure your children are dressed warmly to travel to school in the winter.
- Buses may be late or be cancelled if road conditions are unsafe for a school bus.
- When buses are late or cancelled in Whitehorse, Standard Bus informs radio stations and the schools.
- Outside Whitehorse, Standard Bus contacts the schools, and the schools inform parents.
Sign up for My School Bus Monitor to get updates on late and cancelled buses.
How to report safety concerns
- Report unsafe driving around a school bus to the RCMP.
- If you have concerns, we'll work together to address the issue and answer your questions.
- Contact our Student Transportation Unit by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 867-667-5172, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5172.
- Contact Standard Bus Yukon at 867-456-3210.
- You can also contact your child's school.
- We will review any incidents to consider whether we need to make any changes to protect health and safety.
National safety standards
- We work with Standard Bus to ensure school buses meet all national safety standards.
- We have agreed to take part in Transport Canada’s assessment of seat belt safety on school buses.
For questions, email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5127 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5127.