- Find out if you need a freight vehicle permit for escort vehicles
- Apply for a freight vehicle permit
Find out if you need a freight vehicle permit for escort vehicles
You will need a freight vehicle permit for escort vehicles when you do not have a valid Yukon licence plate and are escorting loads:
- into or out of Yukon; or
- point-to-point within Yukon.
Who doesn't need a freight vehicle permit to escort vehicles?
- Your vehicle is registered in Yukon.
- You are piloting your personal goods.
Read more about requirements for escort vehicles under Highways Act Regulations, Section 3.
Apply for a freight vehicle permit
You can get a freight-vehicle permit for an escort vehicle at a Whitehorse or Watson Lake Weigh Station. Permits can be issued at a roadside inspection site weigh station.
Whitehorse Weigh Station
In person: 91444 Alaska Highway (kilometre 1420.2) in Whitehorse. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Watson Lake Weigh Station
In person: kilometre 976 Alaska Highway in Watson lake. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
When you apply for this permit, you need to provide the following information before the permit can be issued:
- copy of valid vehicle insurance; and
- valid driver’s licence.
In some cases you will need to provide the following. The carrier compliance officer will let you know if these are needed:
- lease agreement;
- copy of bill of lading; and
- copy of valid vehicle ownership such as a bill of sale.