- Find out if you need an axle lift trailer permit
- How to apply
Find out if you need an axle lift trailer permit
The Government of Yukon has banned axle lifts as load-bearing axles under most circumstances. This is done to protect Yukon's roads from unnecessary damage.
Some manufacturers are now:
- manufacturing new trailers with a new generation of axle lifts; or
- retrofitting older trailers with a new generation of axle lifts.
If your trailer has 1 of these new axle lifts, you can apply for the axle lift trailer permit.
How axle lifts work
Axle lifts connect to the trailer air system. These axles:
- automatically lower when weight is added to the trailer; and
- cannot be lifted once the trailer is loaded.
What are the benefits
- Improve fuel economy.
- Reduce tire wear on axles that can be raised.
- Allow for financial savings.
- Are environmentally friendly.
How to apply
You must call us. We'll ask you for:
- information about the weights and dimensions of your freight; and
- a phone number where we can reach you while you're travelling.
Depending on your vehicle's load weight and dimensions, it could take us at least 3 business days to prepare your permit.
A carrier compliance officer at the Whitehorse or Watson Lake weigh stations will complete and issue your permit.
In person: 91,444 Alaska Highway (kilometre 1,420.2) in Whitehorse. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In person: kilometre 976 Alaska Highway in Watson Lake. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What documents do you need?
Before we can issue you with a permit, you will need to provide us with:
- copy of valid vehicle insurance;
- copy of valid vehicle registration;
- valid driver’s licence; and
- a complete axle lift trailer permit application form.
In some cases you will need to provide the following. The carrier compliance officer will let you know if these are needed:
- lease agreement;
- copy of bill of lading;
- copy of valid vehicle ownership such as a bill of sale; and
- if you are carrying dangerous goods you need a current Dangerous Goods Training Certificate to be carried as well.