Get a freight vehicle permit

  • Find out if you need a freight vehicle permit
  • Find out how to apply

  1. Find out if you need a freight vehicle permit

    You'll need a freight vehicle permit if you're a commercial driver bringing freight into the Yukon. The permit will temporarily register your vehicle for your trip.

    What types of permits are there?

    We issue 4 types of freight vehicle permits to commercial drivers:

    • business;
    • escort vehicles;
    • hauling for hire; and
    • own commercial goods.

    Find out how to Get a freight vehicle permit: buses.

  2. Find out how to apply

    You can call ahead or apply online with all information about your weights, dimensions, destination and origin. Analysis might be required to prepare your permit, which can take up to 3 business days, and depends on:

    • load weight;
    • route; and
    • dimensions.

    Apply for a permit online

    Before you apply for a permit, you must be a carrier in good standing with the National Safety Code of your home jurisdiction.

    Before you start the online permit process, make sure you have everything you need, including:

    • current vehicle details, dimensions and weights;
    • route information; and
    • a credit card to pay the permit fee.

    Apply for a carrier permit

    Other ways to get a freight vehicle permit

    A carrier compliance officer at the Whitehorse or Watson Lake weigh stations will complete and issue your freight vehicle permit.

    Whitehorse weigh station
    In person: kilometre 1,420.2 (mile marker 914.44) Alaska Highway in Whitehorse.
    Phone: 867-667-5729
    Fax: 867-393-6408

    Watson Lake Weigh Station
    In person: kilometre 976 Alaska Highway in Watson Lake. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Phone: 867-536-7400
    Fax: 867-536-7577

    What documents do I need?

    Before we can issue you with a permit, you will need to provide us with a:

    • copy of your valid vehicle insurance;
    • copy of your valid vehicle registration; and
    • valid driver’s licence.

    The carrier compliance officer will let you know if you also need to provide:

    • a lease agreement; or
    • a copy of a bill of lading.

    What if I'm carrying dangerous goods?

    If you're carrying dangerous goods, you will need a current Dangerous Goods Training Certificate.