Get an over-dimensional vehicle permit

  • Find out if you need an over-dimensional vehicle permit
  • How to apply

  1. Find out if you need an over-dimensional vehicle permit

    You will need to apply for an over-dimensional vehicle permits if your vehicle, bus, farm vehicle or other equipment is over legal limits established by Highway Regulation, section 18(1). This refers to the overall dimensions for each vehicle type listed in Highway Regulation, schedule 2, part 1 – dimension limits.

    This permit is good for the calendar month in which it was purchased in. You can buy up to six permits at a time.


    There are a few exceptions to the over-dimensional vehicle permit:

    • fire-fighting equipment or other equipment driven by or for government, in response to an emergency, or;

    • vehicles registered as farm vehicles under the Motor Vehicles Act; or

    • towed farm implements exempt from registration under the Motor Vehicles Act, which are driven:

      • between 1/2 hour before sunrise; and

      • 1/2 hour after sunset.


    Read more about over-dimensional vehicle permitting.


  2. How to apply

    You can call ahead or apply online with all information about your weights, dimensions, destination and origin. Analysis might be required, which can take up to 3 business days to prepare your permit, and depends on:

    • load weight;
    • route; and
    • dimensions.

    Apply for a permit online

    Before you apply for a permit, you must be a carrier in good standing with the National Safety Code of your home jurisdiction.

    Before you start the online permit process, make sure you have everything you need, including:

    • current vehicle details, dimensions and weights;
    • route information; and
    • a credit card to pay the permit fee.

    Apply for a carrier permit

    Other ways to get an over-dimensional vehicle permit

    1. Complete an over-dimensional vehicle permit application form at the Whitehorse or Watson Lake weight stations.

      Whitehorse weigh station

      In person: 914.44 Alaska Highway (kilometre 1420.2) in Whitehorse. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

      Email: [email protected]
      Phone: 867-667-5729
      Fax: 867-393-6408

      Watson Lake weigh station

      In person: kilometre 976 Alaska Highway in Watson lake. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

      Email: [email protected]
      Phone: 867-536-7400
      Fax: 867-536-7577

    2. The carrier compliance officer will:

    3. If you're approved, pay the permit fee of $15 for single trip or $25 per month for multi-trip by cash, credit card, debit card, company cheque from a Canadian bank, or through an approved charge account.

    4. You will be given a hard copy of the permit. You must carry the permit or permit number in your vehicle. Digital versions are also accepted.

    When you apply for a permit, you need to provide the following information before the permit can be issued:

    • copy of your valid vehicle insurance;
    • copy of your valid vehicle registration; and
    • valid driver’s licence.

    The carrier compliance officer will let you know if you also need to provide:

    • a lease agreement; or
    • a copy of a bill of lading.

    What if you're carrying dangerous goods?

    If you're carrying dangerous goods, you'll need a current Dangerous Goods Training Certificate.