Get a freight vehicle permit: hauling-for-hire

  • Find out if you need a hauling-for-hire permit
  • How to apply

  1. Find out if you need a hauling-for-hire permit

    You can get a hauling-for-hire permit if you are hauling goods with a commercial vehicle:

    • into or out of the Yukon; or

    • point-to-point within Yukon for compensation and do not have Yukon registration.

    This permit is only valid for a 1-way trip.

  2. How to apply

    You can call ahead or apply online with all information about weights, dimensions , destination and origin. Analysis might be required to prepare your permit, which can take up to 3 business days, and depends on:

    • load weight; and

    • dimensions.

    Apply for a permit online 

    Before you apply for a permit, you must be a carrier in good standing with the National Safety Code of your home jurisdiction.

    Before you start the online permit process, make sure you have everything you need, including:

    • current vehicle details, dimensions and weights;
    • route information; and
    • a credit card to pay the permit fee.

    Apply for a carrier permit

    Other ways to get a freight vehicle permit for hauling-for-hire

    You can get a hauling-for-hire permit at the Whitehorse or Watson Lake weigh station. 

    Whitehorse Weigh Station
    In person: 914.44 Alaska Highway (kilometre 1420.2) in Whitehorse. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 867-667-5729
    Fax: 867-393-6408

    Watson Lake Weigh Station
    In person: kilometre 976 Alaska Highway in Watson lake. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 867-536-7400
    Fax: 867-536-7577

    What documents do you need?

    When you apply for a hauling-for-hire permit, you need to provide the following information before the permit can be issued:

    • copy of valid vehicle insurance;

    • copy of valid vehicle registration; and

    • valid driver’s licence.

    In some cases you will need to provide the following. The carrier compliance officer will let you know if these are needed.

    • lease agreement; or

    • copy of bill of lading.

    What if I'm carrying dangerous goods?

    If you are carrying dangerous goods, you'll need a current Dangerous Goods Training Certificate.