Apply for a development permit

A development permit gives you permission to develop property according to standards, regulations and land-use goals. This includes residential and commercial use, building setbacks, maximum height, number and minimum or maximum sizes of buildings and parking requirements. It is based on the area development regulations or on the municipal zoning bylaws for a property.

Municipalities issue development permits and have their own application process and forms. Contact your municipal office for information.

The Government of Yukon issues development permits in unincorporated Yukon communities.

Development permit requirements

Not all building permits need a development permit.The following examples are the kinds of building projects that require a development permit. Email if you need assistance.

  • Adding a building to your property. This includes a home, outbuilding or accessory dwelling unit.
  • Changing the use of a building. For example, residential to commercial or non-dwelling to dwelling.
  • Changing the exterior size or height of existing buildings or structures attached to them. An example would be a deck.

Do you need a discretionary use permit?

In some areas, the development regulations allow for land uses beyond what is allowed by standard zoning. Some examples could be having a dog kennel or running a child care facility.

A discretionary use permit is a type of development permit that allows for these additional uses. A decision about this type of permit is made after public consultation. Consultation can take up to 60 days.

To determine if you need a discretionary use permit, contact the Land Planning Branch. Phone 867-667-3515 or email [email protected].

Apply for a development permit

  1. Complete the Development Permit application checklist.
  2. Download and complete the applicable form:
  3. Submit your completed checklist, application and a non-refundable fee of $25.

    By email: [email protected]
    In person: 2251B 2nd Avenue, Whitehorse, Yukon. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    By mail:
    Government of Yukon
    Building Safety and Standards (C-8)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2C6

Next steps after receiving your decision

If approved, contact Building Safety Branch for building or other needed permits. Phone 867-667-5741 or email [email protected]. Contact your municipality to ask if you need any other permits.

If your application is denied

Within 30 days of receiving the decision, you can:

  • appeal the decision; or
  • ask for a variance from the Zoning Appeal Board.

To find out more, phone the Zoning Appeal Board 867-334-7472.


For assistance with applying for a development permit email [email protected] or phone: 867-667-5741 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5741.