Report a suspicious property or activity in your neighbourhood

  1. How SCAN works
  2. Common signs of illegal activities taking place at a property
  3. Report a suspicious property
  4. Protection of identity

  1. How SCAN works

    What is the SCAN unit

    The Safe Communities And Neighborhoods (SCAN) unit is a law enforcement agency within the Department of Justice. SCAN investigators are designated as peace officers when they carry out their duties. 

    What is the difference between SCAN and the RCMP

    Under criminal legislation, the police can arrest a specific individual. Yet the illegal activities taking place at the property can continue.

    Under SCAN legislation, the property used for the activity is shut down. To find out more, read the Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods Act.

    Does SCAN apply on First Nations land

    • SCAN is a Yukon law of general application and does apply on First Nations Settlement Land.
    • It may not apply to "land set aside" for the use and benefit of First Nations.

    When can you contact the SCAN unit

    You can contact the SCAN unit when you suspect the following illegal activities:

    • illegal firearms trafficking;
    • organized crime;
    • child sexual exploitation;
    • bootlegging;
    • illegal activities related to prostitution; or
    • drug trafficking; illegal distribution of cannabis.

    How you can contact the SCAN unit

    Phone: 867-456-SCAN (7226) or toll free in the Yukon 1-866-530-SCAN (7226).

    How SCAN works

    When community members report a suspicious property, SCAN investigators can:

    • open an investigation;
    • gather information;
    • issue a verbal or formal written warning;
    • work with the landlord to facilitate an eviction or resolution;
    • take any measures necessary to safely and effectively close the property; and
    • apply to the Supreme Court for a Community Safety Order.


    A Community Safety Order may:

    • call for owners to meet a number of conditions; or
    • allow the property to be closed for up to 90 days.


    SCAN operates under the Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods (SCAN) Act to target properties, and not people.

    What will happen to tenants not involved in illegal activities

    In most circumstances, they will be allowed to remain on the property.

  2. Common signs of illegal activities taking place at a property
    • Frequent visitors at all times of the day and night.
    • Many short and suspicious visits to the property.
    • Visiting vehicles with many occupants yet only 1 person goes into residence.
    • Occupants frequently leaving from the property.
    • Residence with blackened windows or curtains always drawn.

  3. Report a suspicious property

    If there is a suspicious property in your neighbourhood

    • Do not investigate it yourself.
    • Do not approach the occupants.

    How to report a property

    1. Complete and submit the fillable online complaint form.
    2. Phone SCAN 867-456-SCAN (7226) or toll free in the Yukon 1-866-530-SCAN (7226).

    What will happen next

    A member of the SCAN unit will contact you about your concerns.

  4. Protection of identity

    Your identity is protected

    SCAN will keep your identity entirely confidential. The Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods Act complainant information is kept confidential and not disclosed without the prior written consent of the complainant.

    Do you have to testify in court

    Investigative or court proceedings can result from the complaint. However, you will never be involved in any of those proceedings.


To confidentially report any illegal or suspicious activity in your neighbourhood contact SCAN, email [email protected], or phone 456-SCAN (7226) or toll free in the Yukon 1-866-530-SCAN (7226). Do not investigate the property yourself or approach the occupants. A member of the SCAN unit will confidentially and discreetly contact you about your concerns.