Apply for a post-secondary bursary to study in French

French First Language student

To learn more about the Post-secondary French as a First Language (FFL) bursary (Bourse d’études postsecondaires en français), visit la Commission scolaire francophone du Yukon.

French as a Second Language student

The French as a Second Language (FSL) post-secondary bursary can help pay your school expenses while studying in French during your post-secondary studies.


To be eligible, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • be a Yukon resident. Generally, you are a Yukon resident if you:
  • be a Yukon high school graduate from an English and French Immersion stream;
  • study at a designated institution located in Canada; and
  • have a defined section of study in French.

If you’re studying to become a teacher in an English Yukon post-secondary school and you’re doing your practicum in French contact us for more details.

You can’t receive both the post-secondary FSL and FFL bursaries for the same academic year.


$350 to $1200 annually per applicant. The amount is dependent on the number of:

  • French courses you’re enrolled in; and
  • applications we receive.


September 30 for the academic year you are applying for.

How to apply

  1. Contact French Programs by email at to confirm your eligibility.
  2. Complete the application form.
  3. Submit the completed form and all required documents listed on the form.
    In person: Education building (entrance to parking on Hospital Road), 1000 Lewes Boulevard in Whitehorse. We’re open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    French Programs (E-20)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Please note that sending your bursary application which includes your Social Insurance Number via email over the internet is not secure.

When will you find out about your application?

Applications are reviewed in October. Successful applicants will be notified by the end of November. If you’re a successful applicant, we'll contact you by phone or email to let you know how much you’ll receive.

How will I receive payment?

Send your banking information by submitting the Direct deposit authorization form and a void cheque by following the instructions on the form.

We’ll then deposit your bursary in your bank account. If you did not submit your Direct deposit authorization form we'll send a cheque to your home address.

Report your bursary on your tax return

You must report the French as a Second Language (FSL) post-secondary bursary you received on your tax return. We’ll send a T4A to the permanent address you provide in your application.

If you have not received a T4A for the previous year by February 28, phone 867-667-3555.

Wondering how your T4A income will affect your tax return?
Contact the Canada Revenue Agency.


If you have any questions, e-mail or phone 867-667-8237, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 8237.