- Eligibility for the Student Training Allowance
- How much can you receive
- Submit your application
Eligibility for the Student Training Allowance
You're eligible for the Student Training Allowance if you are:
- studying at Yukon College or Alkan Air;
- a full-time student; and
- your program is a minimum of 3 weeks long.
You also need to be a Yukon resident who:
- is legally entitled to remain in Canada;
- has lived in Yukon for 2 years right before your classes start; and
- is not eligible to apply for funding through any other jurisdiction.
If you were out of the territory for school
Yukon students who are out of territory in full-time studies are considered as residents. Contact Student Financial Assistance if you have questions.
Eligibility for student financial assistance in other jurisdictions
You are not eligible for the Student Training Allowance if you're eligible to apply for funding from another jurisdiction.
Another territory, province or country outside Yukon will consider:
- a student;
- their parent; or
- another supporting person
as a resident if they have lived outside Yukon for at least 12 months.
You are eligible in another jurisdiction when:
- your parents moved away from Yukon to another jurisdiction for at least 12 months; and
- you have been in full-time post-secondary studies since leaving high school.
How much can you receive
How long can you receive funding?
- A maximum of 40 weeks per year.
- A maximum of 170 weeks over your lifetime.
Amounts for the 2019-20 academic year
- Student only: $110 per week.
- Student and 1 dependent: $159 per week.
- Student and 2 dependents: $185 per week.
- Student and 3 dependents: $206 per week.
- Student and 4 or more dependents: $230 per week.
Who qualifies as a dependent?
A dependent is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who normally lives with the student and can be:
- a child (natural, adopted or stepchild) 17 years old or younger; and/or
- a spouse whose income is less than $110 per week.
Students who live outside Whitehorse
- If you maintain a residence in Whitehorse and one in your home community: $87 per week.
- If you are travelling to school from one community to another, you may be eligible for an additional travel allowance. Talk to Student Financial Assistance to find out more.
Can I receive the Student Training Allowance and the Yukon Grant?
No, you cannot receive the Student Training Allowance and the Yukon Grant at the same time. You have to choose the funding that suits you best if you:
- attend Yukon College; and
- are eligible for both grants.
Can I combine the 2 grants?
You can receive a total of 170 weeks of funding from the Student Training Allowance and the Yukon Grant.
For example, if you:
- use 68 weeks of the Student Training Allowance;
- you will have 102 weeks of funding left for either Student Training Allowance or the Yukon Grant.
Can I receive other funding and the Student Training Allowance?
Students can get funding from another source and still qualify for the Student Training Allowance if the other fund is only for:
- books; and
- tuition costs.
If you expect to receive funding from another source, discuss this with Student Financial Assistance.
Submit your application
No later than 14 school days after your classes start.
How to apply
- Register and apply online.
- You must submit to our office:
- a copy of your letter of acceptance from Yukon College; and
- a Yukon Student Financial Assistance Student Declaration.
- Submit the completed form.
- Download or pick up from our office the mandatory forms:
- A copy of your letter of acceptance from Yukon College.
- Submit the completed forms.
How to submit your application
In person: Education Building (entrance to parking on Hospital Road), 1000 Lewes Boulevard in Whitehorse. We’re open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Student Financial Assistance (E-13)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
When will you find out about your grant application?
Processing an application can take up to 8 weeks. You will receive a letter in the mail.
You can also check your Student Financial Assistance account.
- Log in.
- Select “Check the status of applications”.
You can follow up with Student Financial Assistance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5929, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5929.
How is the Student Training Allowance paid?
- Before your payments begin, the college will send an email to your Yukon College email address outlining your sign-in process.
- You will be required to sign-in regularly to receive your Student Training Allowance.
- Yukon College makes a direct deposit to your bank account every 2 weeks.
Do I have to pay back my Student Training Allowance?
The Student Training Allowance is a grant. You don’t have to pay it back. The only reasons you might have to repay the grant is if you:
- receive an overpayment;
- withdraw from your program; or
- drop to part-time status.
You can appeal a Student Training Allowance decision
Find out how to appeal a decision.
If you have questions, email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5929, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5929.