Submit your applications electronically

Due to health advisories about the COVID-19 pandemic, we prefer that you submit your rebate applications electronically. Please email applications to and attach photos or scans of your documents. 
Keep informed: Find information about coronavirus (COVID-19)

Apply for a rebate for your insulation upgrades

  • Apply for your rebate
  • Increasing insulation in your home
  1. Apply for your rebate

    Rebate amount

    • $2.50 per square foot for adding an insulation value of R-20 to R-29.
    • $3.50 per square foot for adding an insulation value of R-30 or greater.

    Before you apply

    You must complete a energy assessment to qualify for the insulation rebate. Contact a Certified Energy Advisor and schedule a home visit.

    The advisor will discuss your planned renos. They may make suggestions based on blower door tests and energy modelling.

    After you finish the renos, schedule a follow-up assessment with the advisor. You will receive an upgrade report from your advisor.

    Apply for your rebate

    1. Complete and sign the insulation rebate application.
    2. Attach the required documentation:
      • CEA upgrade report detailing insulation upgrades; and
      • Materials and costs worksheet (optional).
    3. Submit your rebate package to the Energy Branch.
      In person: Energy Solutions Centre at 206A Lowe Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
      Government of Yukon
      Energy Branch (EMR-206)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
    4. You will receive a rebate within 12 weeks.


    This program is funded in part by the Government of Canada's Low Carbon Economy Fund.

  2. Increasing insulation in your home

    Every renovation will be different due to:

    • your needs;
    • lifestyle; and
    • home.

    You can learn about best building practices for the North in our illustrated guide for renovating existing homes. We are happy to discuss these recommended practices with contractors, builders and tradespeople. Email or phone 867-393-7062.

    A good time to increase insulation levels is when you re-side or re-roof your home.

    Insulating your ceiling

    You must add insulation of R-20 or more to your entire ceiling to get the rebate. It can be difficult to add this much as the height of your trusses dictate the amount of insulation you can put in.

    You can contact us to discuss your project in more detail. Email or phone 867-393-7062.

    What will it cost?

    Project costs will be unique to each home. Insulation upgrades tend to be expensive due to:

    • material costs;
    • labour costs; and
    • complications from renovating older homes.

    We recommend getting several quotes and following this guide to hiring a contractor. You may be eligible for a loan through the Yukon Housing Corporation home repair program.

    What will I save?

    You can estimate the savings of an insulation upgrade by comparing the project costs to the estimated annual energy savings. 

    You can contact the Energy Branch to arrange a time to discuss your potential cost savings. Email us at or phone 867-393-7063.