Apply for your insulation and air sealing rebates

  • Apply for your rebates
  • Increasing insulation in your home

  1. Apply for your rebates


    This rebate is for insulation upgrades completed in an existing residence. A residence that is 5 years or older is considered an existing residence.

    Before you can apply, you must complete an energy assessment to qualify for the insulation and air sealing rebate.

    During your assessment, an energy advisor will discuss your planned renovations. They may make suggestions based on blower door tests and energy modelling.

    After you finish the renovations, schedule a follow-up assessment with the advisor. You'll receive an upgrade report from your advisor.

    If you’re implementing your insulation and air sealing upgrades in steps, you must get an energy assessment after each completed step. You’ll need to pay a fee for each post-renovation energy assessment.

    Rebate eligibility

    To receive the insulation rebate for above-ground walls, you must at least double the existing insulation level. For example, if the original insulation value is R20, you must increase the insulation to R40 or greater.

    To receive the insulation rebate for below-ground walls:

    • the insulation level must be R20 or less prior to the renovation; and
    • you must increase it by at least R20.

    To receive the insulation rebate for slabs or floor systems:

    • the insulation level must be R20 or less prior to the renovation; and
    • you must increase it by at least R20.

    To receive the attic insulation rebate:

    • the insulation level must be R40 or less prior to the renovation; and
    • you must increase it to R60 or greater.

    Eligible attics include cathedral ceilings and flat ceilings.

    To receive the air sealing rebate:

    • your home must have at least 3 air changes per hour as determined by the initial energy assessment;
    • you must have 1.5 or fewer air changes per hour post-renovation; and
    • you must install an HRV to ensure balanced ventilation in your home.

    Rebate amount

    • Up to $12,000 for insulating above-ground walls
    • Up to $10,000 for insulating below-ground walls
    • $2,000 for insulating slabs or floor systems
    • $2,500 for insulating your attic

    The total air sealing rebate is $5,000 per building when the building meets or exceeds the air sealing target.

    The insulation rebate amount for above-ground is based on the percentage of the total wall area you’ve insulated. For example, if you insulate 50 per cent of your home’s total above-ground walls, you’ll receive $6,000. If you insulate 100 per cent of your home’s total above-ground walls, you’ll receive $12,000.

    The insulation rebate amount for below-ground walls depend on the depth of the wall up to 6 feet. The rebate amount is proportional to the depth. For example, if 6 or more feet are below ground, you’ll receive the maximum rebate of $10,000. If 3 feet are below the ground, you’ll receive a maximum of $5,000.

    You can apply multiple times as you add insulation to your home’s above-ground or below-ground walls, up to the maximum rebate amount for each wall type.

    You must insulate the entire attic. You can apply for the attic insulation rebate only once per building.

    You must insulate the entire slab or floor system. You can apply for the slab and floor system rebate only once per building.

    If you’ve applied for the Better Buildings program, the rebates may apply to the program funding. 

    Note: We’ve recently increased the value of the insulation rebate. If you already received a rebate for insulation upgrades completed on or after October 14, 2021, contact the Energy Branch to discuss if you qualify for a higher amount. Phone 867-393-7063 or email

    Apply for your rebate

    Apply online

    To apply online, you’ll need to:

    • create an account on the Good Energy rebates website; and
    • add details about your home.

    Apply for your rebate

    Other ways to apply

    1. Complete and sign the application form.
    2. Attach the required documents:
      • Natural Resources Canada-registered energy advisor upgrade report detailing insulation upgrades; and
      • materials and costs worksheet (optional).
    3. Submit your application to the Energy Branch.
      In person: Climate Change and Energy Solutions Centre at 206A Lowe Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
      Government of Yukon
      Energy Branch (EMR-206)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
    4. You'll receive a rebate within 12 weeks.

    This Good Energy rebate is funded in part by the Government of Canada's Low Carbon Economy Fund.

    Get low-cost funding for qualifying energy upgrades

    The Better Buildings program offers low-cost funding to homeowners who complete qualifying energy upgrades to residential buildings.

    The funding amount is based on 25 per cent of the property’s assessed value, up to a maximum of $50,000. Homeowners pay back the funding through a local improvement tax.

    Get a loan to upgrade or repair your home

    Yukon Housing Corporation offers a loan for homeowners who upgrade or repair their home. The home repair loan is up to $70,000 and amortized up to 15 years in 5-year terms.

    Canada Greener Homes Grant

    Get additional funding from the Government of Canada. Your insulation upgrades may qualify under the Canada Greener Home Grant. To qualify, you must:

    When you qualify for the Canada Greener Homes Grant, you may be eligible for a Canada Greener Homes Loan.

    Testing for radon

    Improving the air tightness of your home can result in higher levels of radon inside your home. We recommend testing your home for radon. Learn more about how to take action on radon.

  2. Increasing insulation in your home

    Every renovation will be different due to:

    • your needs;
    • lifestyle; and
    • home.

    You can learn about best building practices for the North in our illustrated guide for renovating existing homes. We are happy to discuss these recommended practices with contractors, builders and tradespeople. Email or phone 867-393-7063.

    A good time to increase insulation levels is when you re-side or re-roof your home.

    Insulating your attic

    You must add insulation of R20 or more to your entire attic to get the rebate. It can be difficult to add this much as the height of your trusses dictate the amount of insulation you can put in.

    You can contact us to discuss your project in more detail. Email or phone 867-393-7063.

    What will it cost?

    Project costs will be unique to each home. Insulation upgrades tend to be expensive due to:

    • material costs;
    • labour costs; and
    • complications from renovating older homes.

    We recommend getting several quotes and following this guide to hiring a contractor. You may be eligible for a loan through the Yukon Housing Corporation home repair program.

    What will I save?

    You can estimate the savings of an insulation upgrade by comparing the project costs to the estimated annual energy savings. 


If you have questions, email or phone 867-393-7063, toll-free in the Yukon, 1-800-661-0408 and ask to be transferred.