We have partnered with local energy advisors to offer these assessments at a reduced cost:
- $50 for a new construction upgrade service required for our new home rebate;
- $50 for a renovation upgrade service and $50 cost for a return visit required for our insulation rebate.
There may be additional costs for:
- non-standard assessments; or
- assessments that require substantial travel.
Request a residential energy assessment
Contact the Energy Branch to request an energy assessment.
In person: 206A Lowe Street (across from Riverside Grocery), Whitehorse, Yukon. We are open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
An independent certified energy advisor will contact you within 2 business days. You and the advisor will choose a time to have the assessment completed.
New construction upgrade service
The new construction upgrade service is the first step in qualifying for the $10,000 new home rebate. The energy advisor will:
- review your building plans; and
- identify ways to achieve the 50% thermal energy target.
Examples of ways to meet the target:
- increase levels of insulation;
- optimize window type and placement; and
- recover heat from drain water.
The 50% thermal energy target is challenging to achieve. But it will result in large energy cost savings. Specifically, when compared to a home built to the base National Building Code standard.
Once the build is complete, you must schedule a return visit with an energy advisor. The advisor will:
- complete a final blower door test;
- confirm that the home was built as modeled; and
- issue an EnerGuide label for your home.
Renovation upgrade service
A renovation upgrade service is the first step in qualifying for the insulation rebate.
The energy advisor will:
- perform a blower door test to determine air leakage in the home;
- walk through the home with you to identify air leakage areas;
- discuss your renovation plans;
- explain the types of renovations that will qualify for the insulation rebate;
- create an energy model of your home; and
- give you a renovation upgrade report:
- based on modeled energy savings;
- with their findings; and
- renovation priorities.
You must schedule a return visit with the advisor. They will confirm the renos were completed and provide you with an insulation upgrade report. You submit the report as part of the insulation rebate package.