Hunt Fortymile caribou in Yukon

Hunting of the Fortymile caribou herd is currently closed. A winter hunt was held in the previous licensing year. See details of the that hunt below.

Similar hunts may occur in the future. If opened, we will announce it during the regulatory year.

When and where can I hunt Fortymile caribou?

  • A winter hunt for Fortymile caribou is open from January 1 to March 31, 2020.
  • You can get a permit in person by going to a Department of Environment office.
  • In total, there will be 225 permits. Permits are valid for 10 days. They are issued at intervals. 25 permits are available at each interval.
    • This means there are 25 permits available for January 1 to 10, another 25 for January 11 to 20, and so on until March 31.
  • You can pick up your permit 2 days prior to the start date of the 10-day interval.
  • The Fortymile caribou hunt is limited to Game Management Subzones 2-19 to 2-21, 2-24, 3-01 to 3-04, 3-06, and portions of 3-07, 3-10 and 3-12.
  • Download a map of the hunt area.


Yukon resident licensed hunters

  • Hunters must have a valid Yukon big game hunting licence and a caribou seal.
  • You are not eligible for the Fortymile caribou hunt if you have already reached the bag limit for caribou this hunting season. This means you:
    • harvested 1 caribou anywhere other than Game Management Zone (GMZ) 1; or
    • harvested 2 caribou in GMZ 1.
  • If you harvested 1 caribou in GMZ 1 and have not harvested a caribou anywhere else in Yukon, you can use your 2nd seal to harvest:
    • a Fortymile caribou; or
    • a Porcupine caribou until that season ends on January 31.
  • All hunters require written permission from Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in to hunt on Category A Settlement Lands.

First Nations

  • First Nations hunters who are beneficiaries of a Yukon Land Claim Agreement can hunt Fortymile caribou as a subsistence hunt with permission from Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in. You do not require a registration permit. The hunt is restricted to the non-overlap areas of Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory.
  • All other First Nations hunters, including those without permission from Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in, must follow the laws of general application. This means following the rules for Yukon resident licensed hunters outlined on this page.
  • All hunters require written permission from Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in to hunt on Category A Settlement Lands.

Reporting requirements

  • Whether you're successful or not, you must report the results of your harvest. This applies to all licensed hunters.
  • Within 72 hours of the permit end date, you must:
    • report your harvest;
    • complete a hunter effort survey; and
    • submit the caribou’s incisor bar. We refer to this as a mandatory biological submission.
  • You can also choose to submit the entire head. We call this is a voluntary biological submission.

Other information

  • The Government of Yukon will not re-issue any unused Fortymile permits.
  • Hunters cannot get 2 permits in a row. To be eligible for a 2nd Fortymile permit, you must have:
    • skipped at least 1 hunt period; and
    • not harvested a Fortymile caribou.
  • For example, if you get a permit for January 1 to 10 and are not successful, you cannot get another permit for January 11 to 20. However, you would be eligible for a permit for January 21 to 30.