Make a complaint against a government-regulated business professional

Government-regulated business professionals have a duty to provide ethical services.

If you've a concern about services you've received, you can either:

  • resolve it informally; or
  • use the formal complaint process.

Whenever possible, we recommend that you 1st try to resolve your concern informally. Speak directly with the professional you have concerns about. You can also approach their supervisor, manager or the company’s complaints department.

If you have a concern regarding an insurance professional, you can also reach out to:

Both these organizations provide dispute resolution services.

If you cannot resolve your concern informally, you can make a formal complaint.

You can file a complaint against any business professional that the Government of Yukon regulates.

Government-regulated business professions in the Yukon

  • Collection agents and agencies
  • Funeral directors
  • Insurers and insurance agents, brokers, salespersons and adjusters
  • Pawnbrokers and second-hand dealers
  • Real estate agents, salespersons and agencies
  • Security agencies and security guards, private investigators, alarm agents and security consultants

Things to know before making a complaint

  • Making a formal complaint is a legal process.
  • We complete unbiased reviews of all complaints and base our decisions on evidence.
  • We'll share your name with the professional you're making a complaint against. This gives the professional the chance to provide an informed response.
  • How long the process takes depends on the individual case.
  • The process can include:
    • gathering statements;
    • doing interviews;
    • holding a hearing; and
    • other methods.

To file a complaint

  • Contact Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
  • Staff will give you more information about the process when you contact them.
    • Phone: 867-667-5798, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408
    • Email:
    • In person: 307 Black Street, Whitehorse, Yukon
    • Mail: PO Box 2703 Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 2N1
  • You cannot submit a complaint by telephone.

For questions about the complaint process email or phone 867-667-5798, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5798.