Make a complaint against a government-regulated health professional

Health professionals have a duty to provide safe and ethical services.

If you've a concern about services you've received, you can either:

  • resolve it informally; or
  • use the formal complaint process.

Whenever possible, we recommend that you 1st try to resolve your concern informally. Speak directly with the professional you have concerns about. You can also approach their supervisor or manager.

If this is not possible, or if you still have concerns, you can make a formal complaint.

You can file a complaint against any health professional that the Government of Yukon regulates.

Government-regulated health professions in the Yukon

  • Chiropractors
  • Dentists (general and specialist)
  • Dental hygienists and therapists
  • Denturists
  • Licensed practical nurses (LPNs)
  • Midwives
  • Pharmacists and rural permit holders
  • Physiotherapists
  • Optometrists
  • Registered psychiatric nurses (RPNs)

Health professions regulated by independent organizations

If you have a concern related to a physician or nurse, you can reach out to the:

Things to know before making a complaint

  • Making a formal complaint is a legal process.
  • We complete unbiased reviews of all complaints and base our decisions on evidence.
  • We'll share your name with the professional you're making a complaint against. This gives the professional the chance to provide an informed response.
  • The complaint process can take several months to years. How long it takes depends on the case.
  • The complaint process can include:
    • gathering statements;
    • doing interviews;
    • looking over patient files;
    • holding a hearing; and
    • other methods.

What the complaint process can do

  • Each complaint can have a different outcome. Final decisions can include but are not limited to:
    • dismissing the complaint;
    • suspending or cancelling a health professional's licence;
    • placing conditions or restrictions on a licence; and
    • requiring the professional to complete more education.

What the complaint process cannot do

  • Order compensation, such as money.
  • Make a health professional provide a service.
  • Transfer your care to another professional.
  • Help with a lawsuit.
  • Settle a personal dispute.
  • Order an apology.
  • Change medical records.

How to file a complaint

  • Contact Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs to get a form. The form you need varies by health profession.
  • Staff will give you more information about the process when you contact them.
  • You can submit the form by email, regular mail or in person.
    • Email:
    • In person: 307 Black Street, Whitehorse, Yukon
    • Mail: PO Box 2703 Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 2N1
  • You cannot submit a complaint by telephone.

For questions about the complaint process email or phone 867-667-5798, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5798.