Transporting livestock and traceability

  • Pigs, including wild boar
  • Cattle, including bison
  • Sheep
  • Goats

Your livestock may have mandatory identification requirements for:

  • importing and exporting;
  • transporting within Yukon; and
  • traceability.

You will likely need a Premises Identification Number before transporting livestock.

  1. Pigs, including wild boar

    If you raise pigs, including wild boars, and expect to move them around, you must:

    Farm-to-farm movement within Canada

    Pigs moved from farm to farm need to be reported to PigTRACE. You must include movement information such as a manifest with the pigs.

    You must report movement information to PigTRACE within 7 days of departure and arrival when transporting:

    • live pigs;
    • deadstock; or
    • parts of deadstock.

    The following movement information must be reported by both the sender and the receiver:

    • departure and destination site Premises Identification Number;
    • date and time of departure and arrival;
    • number of pigs sent and received;
    • licence plate number or conveyance identification; and
    • approved pig identifiers for farm-to-farm sows and boars.

    You don't need to report when you move pigs from one place to another on the same property.


    Ear tag all sows and boars when transporting them. This includes transport to slaughter facilities. Breeding sows or boars do not need to be tags if they do not leave their farm of origin.

    Culled breeding swine

    For sows or boars going to slaughter for culling, you must apply 1 of the following before leaving the farm:

    • a herd mark shoulder slap tattoo; or
    • an approved ear tag.


  2. Cattle, including bison

    To raise cattle, including bison, you must:


    You must identify all cattle with an approved indicator tag before moving them from their place of origin. If you receive an animal that is not identified with an approved tag, you must apply an approved tag to it.

    All cattle arriving at an abattoir must have an approved indicator tag. Any animal arriving at an abattoir without a tag will be refused. The Canadian Livestock Tracking System database tracks the slaughter of cattle. The abattoir operator reports all slaughters within 30 days.

    Movement reporting

    You must report movement of cattle to the Canadian Livestock Tracking System database.

    Purchase indicator tags

    You can get approved Canadian Cattle Identification Agency animal indicators for beef cattle through:

    • authorized retailers across Canada;
    • the agency's toll-free order desk at 1-877-909-2333; or
    • online.

    The national distribution network reports the issuance of tags to the tracking database.

    Visit the Canadian Bison Association for additional information about bison movement.

  3. Sheep

    To raise sheep, you must:

    All sheep need to be identified with an approved tag before leaving the farm of origin. You cannot transport sheep that do not have an approved animal indicator tag. If you receive an animal that is not identified with an approved tag, you must put an approved tag on it.

    All sheep arriving at an abattoir must have an approved indicator tag. Any animal arriving at an abattoir without a tag may be refused.

    Purchase indicator tags

    Visit the Canadian Sheep Federation to find authorized distributors across Canada.

  4. Goats

    You can voluntarily participate in the Canadian Cattle Identification Agency program. This program is expected to become mandatory at the end of 2019.

    On January 1, 2020, you must:

    At present, there are no federal traceability regulations specific to goats. When the Canadian Cattle Identification Agency program comes into effect, you will be required to identify goats before leaving the farm of origin. This is similar to the current requirements for sheep.

    Goat producers should prepare by: