Elk/agriculture conflict hunt

  • Take part in the elk/agriculture conflict hunt as a hunter
  • When and where is the elk/agriculture conflict hunt?
  • ​How do I get the elk/agriculture conflict hunt on my farm?
  • Assessment and review

  1. Take part in the elk/agriculture conflict hunt as a hunter


    You are automatically on the list of candidates for the conflict hunt if you:

    Hunters will be drawn in random order from the list of applications for the latest elk PHA. They will be notified by the Department of Environment through the email address and phone number associated with their Environment client profile. 

    If you are contacted

    To confirm your interest in taking part in the elk/agriculture conflict hunt, you will need to attend a mandatory information session.


    • permit conditions will detail the requirements of this hunt, including the duration, hunting area, sex and class of the animal to be hunted; and
    • hunting periods are for two week blocks.

    You will be offered a hunt period based on the position you were drawn.

    Multiple hunters will be permitted during the same two-week block. 

    Learn more about the elk-agriculture conflict hunt and see a map of the hunt area.

    Obtaining permission from residents

    Hunters are reminded you must obtain permission from occupants of residences within 1 kilometre of any location where you intend to hunt within the permitted boundaries defined in your permit. This includes a residence which may be unoccupied at the time of your hunt. 

    You may use this approved template to record permissions to demonstrate you have permission if requested by a conservation officer. 

    Obtaining permission from Yukon First Nations

    Elk hunters are required to obtain written permissions from First Nations to hunt on category A and B Settlement Lands. Contacts are:

    Champagne and Aishihik First Nations

    304 Jarvis Street
    Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2H2

    Kwanlin Dün First Nation

    35 McIntyre Drive 
    Whitehorse YT 

    Ta’an Kwäch’än Council

    117 Industrial Road
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2T8

    Will the elk/agriculture conflict hunt affect my permit hunt application next year?

    No. The elk/agriculture conflict hunt is separate from the elk PHA process. Getting a permit for a conflict hunt doesn't in any way affect your PHA weighting or eligibility.

  2. When and where is the elk/agriculture conflict hunt?

    When will this hunt take place?

    The 2021-22 conflict hunt permits are valid for a specific two week period within one of the following seasons:
    • Early season: August 17 to August 31, 2021.
    • Late season: October 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022. 

    Where can the hunt take place?

    The elk/agriculture conflict hunt can occur in:

    • any portion of the EL23 buffer unit, east of the Takhini River; 
    • lands where there is a legal ability to hunt including First Nation Settlement Land where written permission has been granted; and
    • commercial agricultural properties and areas within 1 kilometre of an occupied residence anywhere permission has been granted.

  3. ​How do I get the elk/agriculture conflict hunt on my farm?

    For a hunt to take place, Government of Yukon staff need to be sure that a hunt will encourage elk to avoid the area.

    To get an elk/agriculture conflict hunt on your farm:

    1. Contact a conservation officer at 1-800-661-0525.
    2. Landholders granting permissions can assist hunters by providing:
      • elk locations;
      • potential hazards; and
      • other relevant information.

  4. Assessment and review

    The Government of Yukon will track harvest numbers and locations to evaluate the effectiveness of the elk/agriculture conflict hunt.

    We will determine the success of this approach through ongoing collaboration between:

    • all Government of Yukon branches involved;
    • hunters;
    • First Nations governments;
    • renewable resources councils;
    • the Yukon Fish and Game Association;
    • the agriculture industry; and
    • individual farmers.

    The elk/agriculture working group identified in the Management plan for elk in Yukon 2016 will take part in this evaluation. The working group will give advice and recommendations on how effective the conflict hunt is to the Government of Yukon.


For questions about the elk/agriculture conflict hunt, email coservices@yukon.ca or phone: 867-667-8005 or toll free in the Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8005.