As quartz mining projects are developed in Yukon, we want to ensure that development:
- is sustainable; and
- benefits to Yukoners.
Mine operators are responsible for the reclamation and closure of their mine. Operators must:
- create reclamation closure plans;
- implement closure plans;
- pay for the costs of the reclamation and closure work; and
- provide us with financial security in case they're unable to complete the work.
Before we issue a Quartz Mining Licence, we review and approve the mine’s reclamation and closure plans. Our decisions are informed by policy and guidelines that are:
- based on modern industry standards; and
- consistent with national mine site reclamation policies.
Mine operators are required to update their plans throughout the life of the mine.