The Market Development Program funds projects that:
- investigate new markets;
- develops new markets; and
- increases industry competitiveness.
Examples of eligible activities include:
- market and promote agri-food;
- develop and design communication products;
- signs; and
- develop a market strategy, for example, paying a consultant to do this work;
- take part in marketing events, including registration fees and travel costs for you or a consultant at events such as:
- Food Ex; and
- Yukon trade shows;
- farmers’ markets and agritourism ventures where the primary beneficiary is the agriculture sector; and
- local, producer-level food branding initiatives.
Agricultural producers, processors or retailers
Must be a farm or processing facility:
- with commercial sales; or
- be able to demonstrate commercial viability by 2023.
We may require a business plan to assess commercial viability.
Producer or processor organizations
Must be a group of 3 or more producers/processors operating an agricultural, agri-food or agri-based products business. Cooperatives must be registered.
Agricultural non-profits and governments.
Non-profit organizations must have a mandate related to the agricultural, agri-food or agri-based products industry.
Producers, processors and retailers:
- 50% if there are in-kind contributions; and
- 60% if there are no in-kind contributions.
- lifetime program maximum of $100,000
Producer or processor organizations:
- up to 75% of the project costs.
Governments and agricultural non-profits:
- up to 100% of the project costs.
Before you apply
We encourage you to get the funding program manager to review your application. Email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5838 to set up an appointment.
Apply for funding
- Gather your completed documents.
- Submit your application. Applications are generally reviewed once a month. The submission deadline is the 1st Friday of the month.
In person: Room 320 in the Elijah Smith Building at 300 Main Street in Whitehorse. Our office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Agriculture Branch (K-320A)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Find out the decision
Most applications are reviewed by a Project Evaluation Committee that meets once a month. The program manager may review some. We will contact you once a decision has been made. This is usually within 2 weeks of the monthly deadline. If your project is approved, we can explain the next steps at this time or you can find them in the programming guide.
Evaluate your completed project
We will release your final payment once you submit:
- the completed evaluation form;
- an itemized list of expenses; and
- copies of receipts.
If you host an event like a conference or workshop, include feedback from attendees.
We make project results, excluding financial details, available to the public.
Find more agriculture funding programs
This program is 1 of many available under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. See all of our agriculture funds.
About the Canadian Agricultural Partnership
The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a 5-year, $3-billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen the agriculture and agri-food sector. It provides funding to help Yukon’s agriculture industry:
- increase competitiveness, productivity or profitability;
- increase environmental sustainability;
- expand domestic and international markets; and
- improve the anticipation, mitigation and response to risks.