File: declaration of a business name

  1. What is a business name?
  2. Decide on a name
  3. After you decide on a name
  4. What if you do not send your documents in by the expiration date?
  5. How to prepare your documents
  6. After we receive your documents and payment

  1. What is a business name?

    A business name, in general terms, is the title under which a sole proprietor carries on business.

    Using your given name

    As a sole proprietor, you can use your given name without needing to register it. If you want your business to be different than your given name, you have to register your business name.

    Defining “persons”

    These “persons” (as defined under the Partnership and Business Names Act) need to register their business name if:

    • a partnership conducts business under a firm name other than the given names of the partners;
    • a corporation conducts business under a name other than their corporate name; and
    • a society operates a business that supports the society's purpose.

    The term “person” can refer to a legal entity such as a partnership, a corporation or a society.

  2. Decide on a name

    When deciding on a name for your business, remember the Naming Regulation does not allow legal elements. Refer to the regulations for more details.

    Guidelines on choosing a name

    Here are some guidelines for choosing a business name for your society or business.

    • The minimum length of name is 5 characters.
    • The maximum length of name is 120 characters.
    • The name must have more letters than the total number of other characters in the name.
    • Obscene or objectionable names are not allowed.
    • Names must not mislead.
    • Names must not be the same as another organization’s.

    Names that need consent

    • Names that suggest government affiliation such as Government of Yukon or Yukon First Nation.
    • Names that suggest academic or technical affiliation such as university or college.
    • Names that suggest teaching of a trade such as a school, institute or academy.
    • Names such as accountant, dentist, engineer, or private investigator.
    • Names that suggest regulated financial business.

    See the full list of naming guidelines in the Naming Regulation.

  3. After you decide on a name

    To obtain a certificate of name reservation, you must submit the following to our office:

    The proposed name has to follow the requirements of the Naming Regulation. If the name does this, we'll issue a certificate of name reservation. This is valid for 90 days. The process can take up to 5 business days.

  4. What if you do not send your documents in by the expiration date?

    The certificate of name reservation is valid for a period of 90 days. Within the 90 days, you can proceed to complete the required documents.

    Submit your application by the expiration date on the certificate. If you miss this date, you'll have to:

    • resubmit an application for name reservation; and
    • pay the $60 fee again.


  5. How to prepare your documents

    After you get your certificate of name reservation, download and complete the Form 8 ‒ Declaration of business name.

    How to fill out the form

    The information you provide on the form must be legible. Also make sure to complete each section.

    Section 1: Name

    The name must match the name appearing on the certificate of name reservation.

    Section 2: Address of business

    “Delivery address” refers to a physical location. Include an address or other description to identify a person’s home or place of business. This must not include a post office box.

    Section 3: Mailing address

    “Mailing address” refers to where you send mail. Include a complete mailing address, including the postal code. This address can be a person’s home, place of business or post office box.

    Section 4: Date use of business began

    This can be the date of submission or earlier. But, it cannot be a future date.

    Section 5: Person using the business name

    Registering under your personal name

    If you’re registering the business name under your personal name, fill out your:

    • last name;
    • first name; and
    • mailing address.

    When you’ve finished filling out the application, sign and date the form.

    Registering as an entity (partnership, corporation or society)

    If you’re registering a business name for an entity, fill in:

    • the name of the entity; and
    • its Yukon registry number (the entity must be registered).

    On the application, include your:

    • first name;
    • relationship to the entity; and
    • mailing address of the entity.

    When you’ve finished filling out the application, sign and date the form.

    Submit your documents and pay your fees

    After the form is completed, submit it along with the fee. The cost of an application to file a declaration of business name is $25.

    How to pay

    You can pay by:

    • cheque;
    • credit card;
    • cash; or
    • debit card.


    Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to Government of Yukon.

    Credit card

    We accept Visa, Master Card and American Express payment at the office. If you send your documents by fax, email or mail, provide a phone number where we can reach you. This is so you can give us your credit card information.

    Cash or debit

    Payment in cash or with a debit card can only be made in person at our office: 307 Black Street, 1st floor

    COVID-19 office operations

    Until further notice, because of the COVID-19 safety measures, our office is closed to the public.

    Deliver your documents to us

    We've installed a secure drop box at 307 Black Street, 1st floor. Copies of the most used forms in the entrance of the building between the outside and inside doors.

    When you put your forms in our secure drop box, you can include:

    • cash;
    • cheque; or
    • a payment information form to contact you for credit card payments.

    To pay with debit card, you'll have to make arrangements beforehand:

    1. Phone us: 867-667-5314
    2. Tell us a date and time when you can come to our office.
    3. Our staff will meet you in the entryway between the interior and exterior doors at the agreed-to time with a point-of-sale terminal.


  6. After we receive your documents and payment

    Processing time

    After we've accepted and filed all your documents, you'll receive a confirmation. The process can take up to 5 business days.

    The registration will be valid for a period of 3 years. The business name must be renewed before it expires if you want to continue to carry out business in Yukon. The renewal will be valid for another 3 years.

    Legal advice

    Staff at Corporate Affairs cannot provide any interpretation of legislation or operational advice of any sort regarding:

    • business corporations;
    • sole proprietorships;
    • partnerships;
    • cooperative associations; or
    • societies.

    If you need advice, talk with a professional such as a lawyer or an accountant.

    Our staff cannot provide legal advice or services. For legal matters, contact a lawyer or phone the Yukon Law Line: 867-668-5297, toll free 1-866-667-4305

    Business identifier numbers and taxes

    For information about business identifier numbers, taxes and charitable status, visit the Canada Revenue Agency.

    Business licences

    For information about business licences, contact the City of Whitehorse 867-668-8346, or email


Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 307 Black Street, 1st floor in Whitehorse. 

Phone: 867-667-5314, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5314

Fax: 867-393-6251


Government of Yukon
Corporate Affairs (C-6)
Box 2703,
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6