Submit your applications electronically

Due to health advisories about the COVID-19 pandemic, we prefer that you submit your rebate applications electronically. Please email applications to and attach photos or scans of your documents. 
Keep informed: Find information about coronavirus (COVID-19)

Add a solar system and sell your surplus energy

Our Micro-generation Program allows you to sell the surplus energy you generate if:

  • you add solar photovoltaic (also called PV) or another renewable energy system; and
  • you are connected to the electrical grid.

This program applies to homes, businesses and industry.

Reimbursement rate for exported energy

  • Yukon Integrated System (hydro grid): $0.21 per kilowatt-hour.
  • Diesel community grids: $0.30 per kilowatt-hour.

From June 14, 2019, new or modified systems will be reimbursed each March for the lower of:

  • a maximum of 65% of your annual modelled generation-capacity; or
  • 32,500 kilowatt-hours of exported energy.

There is no credit or rollover to future years. These rates are subject to change.

Apply to the Micro-generation Program

Discuss your project with an energy advisor

Our energy advisors will help you understand:

  • your renewable energy options;
  • our incentives;
  • system economics; and
  • local installers and suppliers.

In person: Energy Solutions Centre at 206A Lowe Street (across from Riverside Grocery) in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Phone: 867-393-7063 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 7063.

This meeting will take 1 hour.

Find your system limits and get pre-approved

The electrical utility sets a limit on how much energy capacity can be added to the electrical system at your site. We provide you with generation limits and other site-specific information.

You will need to provide;

  • contact information;
  • planned system location; and
  • a recent electrical bill.

You may need to provide additional information if:

  • your bill does not represent the electrical load to be offset;
  • you just acquired the property; or
  • your home or business has not been built yet.

This step could take 1 to 4 weeks. Do not proceed without formal pre-approval.

Design and install your system

Work with local contractors to design a system that works best for your needs. Make sure they are available to do the work. You can then proceed with installing the system.

This step could take up to 8 months.

Apply to the Micro-generation Project Interconnection Program

Once you've installed the system and passed an electrical inspection, you:

  1. Complete and sign the Micro-generation Interconnection and Operating Agreement. We provide you with this after your pre-approval or initial meeting.
  2. Prepare your supporting documentation. In many cases, your installer does the paperwork. If you have questions about the following requirements, email or phone 867- 393-7063. You must include:
    • your pre-approval document;
    • a photo of your electrical meter;
    • a recent electrical bill;
    • a electrical diagram of the final system as installed and approved;
    • a site diagram of the final system as installed and approved;
    • a system description of the final system as installed and approved;
    • manufacturer specification sheets for generation equipment, inverters; controllers, etc;
    • the final, approved electrical inspection; and
    • the signed interconnection legal agreement.
  3. Submit your application package to the Energy Branch. We prefer you do it by email.
    In person: Energy Solutions Centre at 206A Lowe Street (across from Riverside Grocery) in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Government of Yukon
    Energy Branch (EMR206)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 2C6

Processing your application will take 1 to 2 weeks.

Get final approval and the signed agreement from the utility

We review your application and send it the utility. They:

  • sign the agreement;
  • send it back to us; and
  • mail you a hard copy.

This step will take 1 to 3 weeks.

Receive a new electrical meter

After the utility approves your application, they replace your electrical meter with a bi-directional or dual register meter. They begin to meter your surplus energy.

In most cases, your 1st-year reimbursement will be much lower than future years. This is because your surplus is only tracked starting on the date the bi-directional meter is installed.

This step will take 1 to 3 months.

Receive annual reimbursement for your surplus energy

Each March you will receive a cheque from us for the surplus energy you exported to the grid that year. You can expect the first cheque to be substantially lower than future cheques as your first year is only a partial year of export.

Apply for a rebate to install your renewable energy system

We offer homeowners a separate rebate for adding renewable energy to their property. See our Good Energy renewable energy rebate for more information.