Add a solar system and sell your surplus energy

Our Micro-generation Program allows you to sell the surplus energy you generate if:

  • you add solar photovoltaic (also called PV) or another renewable energy system; and
  • you are connected to the electrical grid.

This program applies to homes, businesses and industry.

Reimbursement rate for exported energy

We’ll reimburse up to 65% of your system’s annual modelled generation capacity every April. This applies to new, newly purchased (with your home) or modified systems.

There is no credit or rollover to future years. These rates are subject to change.

Apply to the Micro-generation Program

Discuss your project with the Energy Branch

Our energy advisors will help you understand:

  • your renewable energy options;
  • our incentives;
  • system economics; and
  • how to find local installers and suppliers.

Our energy advisors will also provide you with a pre-approval application form. Your installer can also seek pre-approval on your behalf.

Contact us

In person: Climate Change and Energy Solutions Centre at 206A Lowe Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Phone: 867-393-7063 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 7063.

This meeting will take 1 hour.

Find your system limits and get pre-approved

The electrical utility sets a limit on how much energy capacity can be added to the electrical system at your site. We provide you with generation limits and other site-specific information.

You'll need to provide:

  • contact information;
  • planned system location; and
  • a recent electrical bill.

You may need to provide additional information if:

  • your bill does not represent the electrical load to be offset;
  • you just acquired the property; or
  • your home or business has not been built yet.

You’ll need to get your renewable energy system pre-approved before you can apply to become a micro-generation client. The Energy Branch will confirm your pre-approval to proceed.

This step could take 1 to 4 weeks. Do not proceed without formal pre-approval.

Design and install your system

Work with local contractors to design a system that works best for your needs. Make sure they are available to do the work. You can then proceed with installing the system.

Your home or business insurance rates or conditions may change if you install a renewable energy system on your building or property. Contact your insurance company to discuss your plans before installing your system.

This step could take up to 8 months.

Apply to the Micro-generation Project Interconnection Program

Once you've installed the system and passed an electrical inspection, you:

  1. Complete and sign the Micro-generation Interconnection and Operating Agreement. We provide you with this after your pre-approval or initial meeting.
  2. Attach your supporting documents. In many cases, your installer does the paperwork. If you have questions about the following requirements, email or phone 867- 393-7063. Include:
    • your pre-approval document;
    • a photo of your electrical meter;
    • a recent electrical bill;
    • a electrical diagram of the final system as installed and approved;
    • a site diagram of the final system as installed and approved;
    • a system description of the final system as installed and approved;
    • manufacturer specification sheets for generation equipment, inverters; controllers, etc;
    • the final, approved electrical inspection; and
    • the signed interconnection legal agreement.
  3. Submit your application package to the Energy Branch.
    In person: Climate Change and Energy Solutions Centre at 206A Lowe Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
    Government of Yukon
    Energy Branch (EMR206)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 2C6

Processing your application will take 1 to 2 weeks.

Get final approval and the signed agreement from the utility

We'll review your application and send it to the utility. They'll:

  • sign the agreement;
  • send it back to us; and
  • mail you a hard copy.

This step will take 1 to 3 weeks.

Receive a new electrical meter

After the utility approves your application, they'll replace your electrical meter with a bi-directional or dual register meter. That is when they'll begin to track your surplus energy.

This step will take 1 to 3 months.

Receive annual reimbursement for your surplus energy

Each March, you'll receive a cheque from us for the surplus energy you exported to the grid that year. In most cases, your 1st-year reimbursement will be much lower than future years. This is because your surplus is only tracked starting on the date the bi-directional meter is installed. This means your 1st year is likely only a partial year of export.

Apply for a rebate for your renewable energy system

We offer homeowners a separate rebate for adding renewable energy to their property. See our Good Energy renewable energy rebate for more information.

Canada Greener Homes Grant

The Government of Canada is offering additional funding. Your new solar or renewable energy generating system may qualify under the Canada Greener Home Grant.
To be eligible, you must:

  • register with the Canada Greener Homes Grant;
  • submit a request for an energy assessment called a "pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation";
  • complete an energy assessment in advance of your project;
  • receive an energy assessment report that recommends adding solar photovoltaic (PV); and
  • complete the installation of a solar photovoltaic system as recommended in the energy assessment report.

If you need an energy assessment to complete a current project, you can discuss your needs with our Energy Branch. Phone 867-393-7063 or email