We give The Robert E. Leckie Award to miners for:
- socially responsible practices;
- environmental stewardship; and
- leadership in innovation.
We give up to 3 awards per year.
Who can nominate someone?
- Any person can make a nomination.
- We encourage companies to self-nominate.
The nominee must have completed the work they are nominated for in the current year, or in the past 3 years.
Who and what work are eligible
- Work in Yukon.
- Individual mine operators and mining companies.
The same project may be nominated more than once.
A project is defined by:
- time frame;
- specified activities; and
Who is not eligible
Neither the Government of Yukon nor any of its projects are eligible.
October 16, 2020.
Prepare your nomination
In a single package, include the following:
- a brief description of the nominator and their relationship to the project;
- a general overview of the project;
- the location of the claim block including map and coordinates;
- contact information (name, address, telephone number and email address) for the nominee;
- reasons why the operator or company should be considered for the award;
- details of the work that was completed:
- methods used;
- level of effort;
- time required; and
- when the work was completed;
- commentary on the end results;
- at least 1 colour photograph of the activity; and
- colour photographs taken before and after the work was done.
Submit your nomination
How are winners selected?
- The award can only be given once in the lifetime of a project.
- The selection committee makes its choices based on quality of work and not quantity of work.
A selection committee includes the:
- Yukon Chamber of Mines;
- Klondike Placer Miners' Association; and
- Government of Yukon.
The committee meets once a year to select winners.
We invite award recipients to accept their awards at the annual Yukon Geoscience Forum.